Smoking a Turkey (pictures added)

14 Nov 2015 10:14 - 14 Nov 2015 11:50 #1 by HappyCamper
Smoking a turkey today YUM! :eatturkey:

It is not hard to do just make sure you brine it for at least 12 hours and I have left it in the brine for as long as 48 hours (plans changed so had to wait and extra day) with no change in taste.

I use a pellet smoker and leave on the smoke setting for about 2 ½ hours (if turkey is over 18 pound I go 3 ½ hours) after that it is 325 for another 4 to 6 hours depending on the size of the turkey.

After having a hearty meal I remove the rest of the meat from the turkey and we vacuum seal for use at a later date.

There is nothing like a smoked turkey sandwich.

I will buy an additional 2 or 3 turkeys this time of year while the prices are good.

:tgivedinner

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Nov 2015 11:22 #2 by ScienceChic
We buy extra turkeys too to save for later. I love having leftover cold turkey sandwiches. :eatturkey:

One of our older posts Thanksgiving and Turkey - The Best Way to Prepare the Bird has some great suggestions too!

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

14 Nov 2015 11:49 #3 by HappyCamper
Ok, so here is the turkey I have about another 45 minutes to go on smoke then I will set the heat up.

I filled the cavity with, onion, garlic and lemon(have also used apple).

Will post more pictures as we go along.

Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 13:10 #4 by HappyCamper
Stuffing is done, I made it early and will just re-heat for dinner.

I like bread stuffing this time I cut up and dried French and Sourdough bread not a fan of putting fruit or sausage in the stuffing probably because I grew up with plain bread stuffing.

I have used the stuffing mixes and I find that they are a bit salty so I just do it from scratch. I have never really followed a recipe just learned from my Mom but if you want me to give general measurements I can.

Yesterday I simmered the turkey neck, giblets, carrots, celery, onion and garlic in chicken broth. I use this for the stuffing and the gravy.

Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 14:45 #5 by HappyCamper
Turkey is looking real good right now the temp is running about 150 so I will guess another 1 1/2 hours before it comes off.

Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 15:45 #6 by HappyCamper
Things went a little quicker at the end probably because it is pretty warm out and typically when I have done them the temp is more between 20 and 30.

So will let sit then carve and have a yummy dinner.

:eatturkey:

Attachments:

14 Nov 2015 17:17 #7 by otisptoadwater
[sarcasm_font] How do you keep it lit?! [/sarcasm_font] Looks like you've had great success! I have three 18 pound-ish turkeys to prepare this year, one is going to be smoked and the other two will be deep fried. Glad to see the family and friends at Thanksgiving and to help them enjoy a festive meal while we are together!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

14 Nov 2015 17:33 #8 by ScienceChic
That turkey looks delicious HappyCamper - thanks for making me hungry (while I wait patiently for hubby to finish making Alu Gobi, Saag Paneer, and Tandori Chicken)! :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.252 seconds