Chicken and Dumplings

22 Sep 2016 19:28 #1 by HappyCamper
At the request of the hubby and I also had stuff from the garden to use I made my chicken and dumplings recipe.

Here are some photos and I actually wrote down measurements so if there is enough interest I will post the recipe.

Just so you know when you are done your broth will be like a creamy soup without the cream.

Hope everyone will start posting those yummy winter recipes and awesome football food.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MadJacksMountainBrewery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Sep 2016 22:56 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Chicken and Dumplings
I have never been a fan of dumplings, but EM loves them - I'm sure he'd appreciate your recipe if you'd like to share! :)

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

23 Sep 2016 11:50 #3 by HappyCamper
Replied by HappyCamper on topic Chicken and Dumplings
SC, I think you would love the chicken and broth just take some out before doing the dumplings. These are not the dense dumplings that some places have so it he does make it give it a taste.

Chicken and Dumplings

3 to 3 ½ pounds of chicken remove skin (use what you like I do a mix of breasts and thighs typically)
4 cans of chicken broth (homemade broth is best but I don’t always have it on hand)
1 large onion
3 large carrots
3 stalks of celery peeled (this keeps the strings out)
3 to 6 cloves of garlic (I love garlic so I use 6)
1 TBS of chives (use fresh if you have them)
1 TBS of parsley (use fresh if you have it)
½ tsp of poultry seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste (hold off on the salt until after you cook it down if you are using canned broth you may not need to add more salt.

Cut up all your veggies and put them to a stock pot with the chicken simmer until veggies and chicken are tender. Remove the chicken set aside to cool so that you can shred it.

After the broth cools a bit you want to puree all of the veggies with an emulsion hand blender or you can use a regular blender.
Put everything back into the stock pot including the chicken (if you want to make a double batch and freeze half for a later date it freezes well)

Dumplings

2 cups cake flour (you can use all-purpose but dumplings will not be as fluffy)
2 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp of salt
¾ cup of milk
2 Tbsp of melted butter
¼ cup minced fresh herbs I like chives but you can use parsley this is optional

Mix all the dry ingredients and the herb together first.

Add butter mix with fork

Add milk and mix just until everything is combined you do not want to develop a ton of gluten

Drop heaping teaspoons of dumpling mix into the simmering broth and cover. Do not peek inside until you hit the 15 minute mark, then test dumplings with a toothpick it should come out clean.

Making this at 8800 feet I typically have to cover and do another 5 minutes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

17 Jan 2017 06:33 #4 by rubysalcedo
Replied by rubysalcedo on topic Chicken and Dumplings
I love dumplings and from the photos I can guess that they were really yummy. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I am not much of a cook, but will definitely try it. :)

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds