TheBean_TheLeaf created the topic: ***Brazilian Stew (Feijoada)***
10 Oct 2018 16:08#1
Feijoada (fay-ZWAH-da) is a traditional Brazilian stew made from black beans and a mix of pork and beef. (Can substitute chicken If you like). In Brazil, each region has its own particular style and flair and most dishes include black beans and rice, but Feijoada is recognized as the national dish.
We have taken the inspiration of this traditional dish and prepared a not as authentic, but healthier version without (in our opinion) sacrificing flavor. Traditional versions also include collard greens and deep fried cassava or bananas.
- 2 cups fresh black beans, cooked or 1 can, no salt added,
drained and rinsed
- 2 slices applewood smoked sliced bacon, thick cut.
- 1 LB boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 inch
- 1 LB boneless beef chuck cut into 3 inch pieces
- 2 Tablespoons *TB&TL Applewood Chipotle Rub
- 1 medium onion, chopped or 2 Tablespoons *TB&TL
Organic Granulated Onion.
- 1 cup homemade chicken stock or fat free, low sodium chicken
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon *TB&TL Organic
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 *TB&TL Organic Bay Leaves
Prepare the pork shoulder and beef pieces, by coating them liberally with the *TB&TL Applewood Chipotle Rub.
Heat a dutch oven to medium high heat and cook the bacon until it is crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel to drain .
Transfer the pork to the dutch oven and cook until brown on all sides. Don't crowd the pan with the meat, better to work in batches. Remove meat from pan and keep warm. Continue with the remaining pork and then the beef.
Add onions to the pan and saute until they start to soften.
Add the chicken stock, minced garlic and *TB&TL Organic Bay Leaf to the onions.
Return the pork and beef back to the pan.
Add the beans and reduce heat to medium low.
Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until the meat is cooked through and is tender.
Just before serving, add the vinegar and return the bacon to the pan. Stir to combine and serve hot on top of or along side of long grain white or brown rice.
SERVE AND ENJOY!!!!
Nutritional Information (per serving):
Total Fat 17.8 g
Saturated Fat 2.0 g
Sodium 377.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
Sugars 3.6 g
Protein 28.9 g
*The Bean & The Leaf - Available for purchase in-store!