***Favorite Baked Beans from Scratch***

25 Jul 2019 13:01 #1 by TheBean_TheLeaf
Favorite Baked Beans from Scratch!

We still have plenty of time to BBQ with friends and family this summer. Therefore I'm going to share this Baked Bean recipe that I made for our BBQ on the 4th. They received many compliments. The directions are for Instant Pot users but can also be made in the Crock Pot, you will just need to soak your beans overnight in advance, where with the Instant Pot there is no need to soak them first. I love this recipe because of the addition of green chilies. I think it gives it wonderful flavor without too much heat. If you want to kick up the spice another notch you could do half green chilies and half Jalapenos.

Ingredients
Bacon:
10 slices bacon
1 tablespoon brown sugar optional
2 tablespoons maple syrup optional
Cook Dry Beans:
1 lb. pinto beans dry*
1/2 teaspoon The Bean & The Leaf Himilayan Salt
1/2 teaspoon The Bean & The Leaf Pennsylvania Pepper
8 cups water or broth of choice
Baked Beans:
1 medium sweet onion diced
1 tablespoon The Bean & The Leaf Granulated Garlic
1/2 cup brown sugar use less if you want to reduce sugar
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Molasses
3/4 cup Barbecue Sauce
1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles, optional
1 teaspoon The Bean & The Leaf Smoked Paprika
1/4 teaspoon The Bean & The Leaf Korintje Cinnamon
1 teaspoon The Bean & The Leaf ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon The Bean & The Leaf red pepper flakes
1 cup water

Instructions
Cook Bacon:
You can use pre-cooked bacon or you can brown it in the Instant Pot before adding the cooked beans. I prefer the oven method. Chop into one-inch pieces.

Cook Dry Beans:
Add dry beans, salt, pepper and 8 cups of liquid to the Pressure Cooker. Cover and make sure the valve points to Sealed. Cook on High Pressure for 25 minutes followed by a 20-25 minutes Natural Pressure Release. Release manually the remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid. Rinse the beans under cold water and drain. Clean the pot and return it to the Instant Pot.

Make Baked Beans:
Add the cooked beans to the Instant Pot with the rest of the ingredients. Gently stir to combine. Cover with the lid and make sure the valve points to Sealed. Cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes followed by a 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release. Release manually the remaining pressure and carefully remove the lid. Stir in the chopped cooked bacon.
If you would like to reduce the liquid even more, you can select Sauté and cook the beans with the lid off on Sauté mode for 15 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced. You can also mix 1 tablespoon of cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water and add the mixture to the beans to thicken the sauce.

Serve with extra bacon on top and fresh chopped parsley if desired.

Recipe Notes
You can use canned beans, 3 cans (15.5 ounces each) of either northern, pinto or kidney beans. You can also use a combo of these. If using canned beans, skip the instructions for Cooking Dry Beans and jump to "Make Baked Beans".

Serve & Enjoy
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds