At Home With Rebecka-Holiday Recipe Exchange Thread

18 Oct 2010 20:27 #1 by At Home With Rebecka
The smell of turkey roasting in the oven, pumpkin pie and sweet potatoes, days of preparation and decorating, culminating in precious moments of laughter and reunion with family and friends. The Holidays are fast approaching and my mind is already spinning. So much to do and so little time!

Traditionally, I cook a turkey for Thanksgiving and a Rib Roast for Christmas. Each year I prepare all my old-time favorite side dishes; cornbread and sage stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, fresh cranberries in orange sauce, creamy artichoke, bacon and spinach, and to complete the feast a big bowl of turkey or beef gravy. YUM!

Food is a conduit to some of the greatest memories in my life.

I thought it would be nice to start the holiday season by creating a thread, here in the 285bound Forum, devoted to your favorite Holiday recipes, favorite food stories or favorite holiday family memories. I would love to hear your stories about holidays past and enjoy the next few weeks reading some of your favorite recipes for the season.

Here are a few ideas to get us started...
1. What is your favorite Holiday food memory and why?

2. Your traditional Thanksgiving/Christmas meal and recipe?

3. Cookies, cookies, and more cookies!!

4. Have to make it for my holiday dinner, side dish recipe!!

5. What is the strangest food you've eating at a holiday dinner?

6. Traveling for the Holidays and eating out!!

I'll start with my "Have to make it for my holiday dinner, side dish".

Creamy Artichoke, Bacon and Spinach

2 - 14 oz cans artichoke hearts drained
2 packages cream cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/2 c parmesan cheese
1/2 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 stick butter

Method:
Drain artichokes & spinach, fill the bottom of a buttered baking dish, with artichokes, layer spinach on top of artichokes, in a medium bowl mix sour cream, melted butter, cream cheese and parmesan cheese, pour over artichokes and spinach. Sprinkle top with cooked bacon and add 2 more tablespoons parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 350 for 30 minutes. Serves 4-6
OK! Who's next??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Oct 2010 19:28 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic At Home With Rebecka-Holiday Recipe Exchange Thread
Rebecka do you know of a good cinnamon apple jelly recipe. I don't want the kind with red hots just some cinnamon oil.

Thanks so much. Love your blog.

24 Oct 2010 19:49 #3 by At Home With Rebecka
I've been searching my canning cook books and family recipes but haven't found recipe for apple jelly that calls for cinnamon.

I think that it would be fine to add 6-7 cinnamon sticks to any well known apple jelly recipe. The addition of cinnamon sticks wouldn't change the consistancy of the jelly or affect the jelling process.

I'll have to try this out, it sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors.

I think you might just have a signature recipe brewing here!!

I have a few apple jelly recipes, if you need me to post them just let me know.

24 Oct 2010 20:31 #4 by ShilohLady
That side dish sounds yummy! I'll have to try it out.

24 Oct 2010 20:45 #5 by jf1acai
I am not a cook, but the highlights of my memories are my mother's turkey dressing, fudge, and Swedish butter cookies! Those were to die for! :)

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

28 Oct 2010 09:20 #6 by At Home With Rebecka
jf1acia, My mother made corn bread and sage stuffing, I remember how the kitchen smelled when she was preparing the stuffing...onions, celery, lots of dried sage all mixed together, very savory and satisfying. What type of stuffing did your mom make?

I'm also curious about the recipe for Swedish butter cookies...is it a secret family recipe or can you share it with me? I absolutely love butter cookies and I haven't made them in a few years, it would be terrific to try a new recipe this season if you're willing to share.

I love eating fudge but I've never found a recipe I like. They all turn out lumpy or crunchy from too many sugar crystals.

If anyone has a creamy, dreamy homemade fudge recipe I would really like to get my hands on one!

28 Oct 2010 09:42 #8 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic At Home With Rebecka-Holiday Recipe Exchange Thread

At Home With Rebecka wrote: I've been searching my canning cook books and family recipes but haven't found recipe for apple jelly that calls for cinnamon.

I think that it would be fine to add 6-7 cinnamon sticks to any well known apple jelly recipe. The addition of cinnamon sticks wouldn't change the consistancy of the jelly or affect the jelling process.

I'll have to try this out, it sounds like a wonderful combination of flavors.

I think you might just have a signature recipe brewing here!!

I have a few apple jelly recipes, if you need me to post them just let me know.

I would love to get your apple jelly recipes. Thanks so much.

31 Oct 2010 16:14 #9 by At Home With Rebecka
CinnamonGirl, I've been preparing for a cooking challenge this week and plan to do my video production tomorrow, I'll try to get the recipes posted sometime this week! Happy Halloween!

14 Nov 2010 13:27 #10 by At Home With Rebecka
Here's a great holiday recipe to make with the kids...Homemade Citrus Marshmallows. Super easy to make and you can create your own twist by adding different flavors and colors...enjoy

File Attachment:

http://athomewithrebecka.blogspot.com/2010/11/giadas-homemade-orange-marshmallows.html

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds