green tomatoes challenge

18 Oct 2010 21:34 #1 by RY
green tomatoes challenge was created by RY
I brought in probably 10lbs or more of green/unripe tomatoes today from the greenhouse and have no idea what to do with them except the brown paper bag and warm/dark place thing. Someone mentioned "chow chow"... don't know what that is either AND I am vegan....help please  :Thanks:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Oct 2010 21:25 #2 by At Home With Rebecka
I have an awesome Chow-Chow recipe for you...

Fanwood Chow-Chow

1 peck green tomatoes
(A peck is a measure of dry volume and equals 8 dry quarts. There are 4 pecks in a bushel)
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
2 apples, chopped
1/4 teaspoon spicy red pepper (any hot pepper will do if you can't find red)
1 whole clove
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups vinegar
1-1/3 cups brown sugar
1 stick cinnamon broken into two pieces

Method
Chop tomatoes, onions, sprinkle with salt allow to stand 2 hours. Drain. Add apples bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, reduce heat to med-low and cook for 2 hours. Add vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, red pepper, celery seed, cinnamon stick, and clove. allow mixture to heat throughly then taste for salt, add more if desired. Simmer about 1/2 hour. I wasn't sure if you were planning on canning the Chow-Chow... I have canning directions on my blog site if you need to take a look.

I have another recipe that has more onion and calls for sweet peppers if you prefer a milder version. You could also make green tomato salsa and add some tamatillos to the mix...YUM! Let me know if you would like the other 2 recipes and I'll post those as well.

Fried Green Tomatoes are another yummy idea...I love tomatoes especially the fried green kind! Good luck and let me know if I can help you further.

19 Oct 2010 21:34 #3 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic green tomatoes challenge
Is Chow Chow a condiment?

20 Oct 2010 11:45 #4 by RY
Replied by RY on topic green tomatoes challenge

At Home With Rebecka wrote: I have an awesome Chow-Chow recipe for you...

Fanwood Chow-Chow

1 peck green tomatoes
(A peck is a measure of dry volume and equals 8 dry quarts. There are 4 pecks in a bushel)
2 cups chopped onion
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon celery seed
2 apples, chopped
1/4 teaspoon spicy red pepper (any hot pepper will do if you can't find red)
1 whole clove
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 cups vinegar
1-1/3 cups brown sugar
1 stick cinnamon broken into two pieces

Method
Chop tomatoes, onions, sprinkle with salt allow to stand 2 hours. Drain. Add apples bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute, reduce heat to med-low and cook for 2 hours. Add vinegar, brown sugar, mustard, red pepper, celery seed, cinnamon stick, and clove. allow mixture to heat throughly then taste for salt, add more if desired. Simmer about 1/2 hour. I wasn't sure if you were planning on canning the Chow-Chow... I have canning directions on my blog site if you need to take a look.

I have another recipe that has more onion and calls for sweet peppers if you prefer a milder version. You could also make green tomato salsa and add some tamatillos to the mix...YUM! Let me know if you would like the other 2 recipes and I'll post those as well.

Fried Green Tomatoes are another yummy idea...I love tomatoes especially the fried green kind! Good luck and let me know if I can help you further.

that sounds very yummy REbecka. I will try it, yes please post your other recipes as well. I will probably do a combination of several recipes and include my jalapenos that I diced and froze when I had too many.

So I suppose "chow chow" is just the name of the concoction???

20 Oct 2010 18:56 #5 by At Home With Rebecka
Yes, Chow-Chow is used as a condiment. It's generally served with meat dishes but since you are vegan that option wont work for you. Options for you would be, addition to soups, salads, and veggie sandwiches. It would be good with chips if you add your jalapenos. You could also use it as a sauce to bake eggplant or squash. You'll have to tell me what you like to eat so I can make some more serving suggestions.

I'll have to do some research about the origins of the name...I know I've been told why it's called Chow-Chow but my aged mind is failing me at the moment.

Green Tomato Salsa

4 cups red, yellow and orange bell peppers medium dice
2 large jalapeno peppers seeded and ribs removed
3 scotch bonnet (habanero) peppers seeded and ribs removed
5 piquello peppers seeded and ribs removed
1 large sweet onion chopped
2 large clove garlic minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
juice from one lemon
8 cups green tomatoes rough chopped
optional: 1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Method:Method:

in a large sauce pot cook ingredients for 40 minutes. Ladle hot salsa into hot prepared jars leaving 1/4 in head space and process in a water bath for 15 minutes, cool on clean dish towel and store or refrigerate for immediate use.

Fried Green Tomatoes

4-6 green tomatoes sliced thick
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 cup butter or vegetable oil

This is my favorite version of fried green tomatoes. There are other recipes that call for eggs and making more of a batter and deep frying just too heavy for me...

method:

Slice tomatoes thickly, in a medium bowl mix dry ingredients, flour both sides of a tomato and place in a hot skillet, repeat until your skillet is full but the tomatoes aren't to crowded. Cook on first side for 3-5 minutes without turning, flip over and cook the other side 3-5 minutes. The idea is to creat a very brown crisp crust without loosing any of the flour mix. Season with salt and pepper taste. Serve alone or as a side dish. I'll be posting this recipe with photos to my blog tonight so you can take a look if you like.
http://.

I thought it would be really cool to make a new version of homemade ketchup using your green tomatoes. Green ketchup would be a hoot!!
Let me know how this one turns out...

5 quarts tomato pulp
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon all spice
1 table dry mustard
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups vinegar
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons salt
1 large onion chopped
3 tablespoons cold water

Prepare the pulp by washing and chopping the tomatoes, cooking until soft, and rubbing through a fine sieve. Wrap and tie spices together in muslin or cheese cloth omit the dry mustard in this step. Mix dry mustard with 3 tablespoons water Combine all ingredients, cook slowly on med low heat stirring frenquently, until thick...

Sorry, if I misspelled a lot of words...I'm the spell check queen and the forum is sadly without the option..happy cooking!

20 Oct 2010 19:01 #6 by RY
Replied by RY on topic green tomatoes challenge
thanks again Rebecka, I am going to copy and paste and add to my recipe collection.

I eat mostly veggies, very little fruit. No flesh/animal foods, dairy and hardly any carbs... I know what is left is what people ask me. But I LOVE my veggies. I control my diabetes with my diet and never have or had weight problems. Its a way of life/lifestyle. In the summer I eat 95% raw (I do use a dehydrator for some dishes), in the winter probably more like 60-70% raw.

20 Oct 2010 19:07 #7 by At Home With Rebecka
Sorry JMC...I got mixed up....Royal Yoga is a vegan...please forgive me for making the error.

I love to eat Chow-Chow on hot dogs. It reminds me of a Chicago style dog! YUM!

Thank goodness for Wikipedia....This article is about the relish. For the dog breed, see Chow Chow. For the vegetable, see Chayote.

Chow-chow, sometimes spelled Chowchow or Chow Chow, is an American pickled relish made from a combination of vegetables. Often cabbage, chayote,[1] green and/or red tomatoes, onions, carrots, beans, asparagus, cauliflower and peas are used. These ingredients are pickled in a canning jar and served cold.

Chow-chow is regionally associated with the Southern United States,[1] Pennsylvania, New Mexico, the Appalachian Mountains, and soul food. The recipes vary greatly; some varieties are sweeter than others. Pennsylvania chow-chow, best known by the Wos-Wit brand, is generally much sweeter than the southern varieties.

Chow-chow can be eaten by itself or can be used as a condiment on biscuits and gravy, pinto beans, hot dogs, hamburgers and other foods.[2]

The term chow-chow is reportedly based on the French word chou for cabbage.[citation needed] Others claim a connection with Chinese cuisine as an origin.[3] The name is sometimes used interchangeably with piccalilli.[1]

Cheers!

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds