The Best Broccoli of Your Life

06 Jun 2010 08:05 #1 by Wayne Harrison
You know you've done something right with broccoli when the person you made it for describes it to someone else the next day as "better than biting into a steak."

Those were Craig's words and they were a marked change from the first words he uttered about the broccoli, before he bit in: "You made broccoli for dinner? Broccoli and sweet potatoes?"

Then he did bite in and his eyes lit up. "Oh my God," he said. "This is the best broccoli I've ever had in my life." Later he said: "If parents made this broccoli for their kids, kids wouldn't hate broccoli. They'd beg for it."

So what did I do to the broccoli to make it taste so good?

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/t ... rocco.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

06 Jun 2010 08:30 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic The Best Broccoli of Your Life
My parents made broccoli just like that when I was a kid, didn't like it back then but I fix it that way now and it is really good (but not steak good)

06 Jun 2010 08:37 #3 by RY
Replied by RY on topic The Best Broccoli of Your Life

Wayne Harrison wrote: You know you've done something right with broccoli when the person you made it for describes it to someone else the next day as "better than biting into a steak."

Those were Craig's words and they were a marked change from the first words he uttered about the broccoli, before he bit in: "You made broccoli for dinner? Broccoli and sweet potatoes?"

Then he did bite in and his eyes lit up. "Oh my God," he said. "This is the best broccoli I've ever had in my life." Later he said: "If parents made this broccoli for their kids, kids wouldn't hate broccoli. They'd beg for it."

So what did I do to the broccoli to make it taste so good?

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/t ... rocco.html

Yummmmm, I love broccoli - thanks for sharing Wayne. Just checked my greenhouse and my broccoli has developed its first little "crown", can't wait...

06 Jun 2010 09:40 #4 by PhoneGeek
Yum, can't wait to try it :Thank you

10 Jun 2010 01:08 #5 by ScienceChic
I make a version similar to this and my kids love it - it's their favorite vegetable! I even HAVE to serve it with lemon to squeeze on at the table or they get upset with me!

I do have one minor disagreement with the article though - while it isn't necessary to wash food if cooking them at high temps in order to kill bacteria and viruses (as long as they reach sufficient temps for a long enough duration), it IS necessary to wash them in order to more fully remove pesticides/herbicides/fungicides. Most will be reduced during cooking, but some just get transferred to the cooking liquid that is often ingested, or they can even be degraded to a more toxicologically harmful product.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

29 Jun 2010 18:16 #6 by RY
Replied by RY on topic The Best Broccoli of Your Life
I just had the BEST broccoli of my life, from the greenhouse; I had no idea how great broccoli can be until this, you can eat it raw, it is tender and sweet, melt in your mouth... didn't need anything with it and the greatest thing is that I cut off the crown and left the plant and now at the leafes tiny little broccoli crowns start growing for more delicacies.... can't wait; oh, and the fresh basil from the garden... to die for!!! never had luck with it but the greenhouse did it :)

30 Jun 2010 12:54 #7 by Sunshine Girl
:thumbsup: great job Royal Yoga!

Thanks for the link. My son has a bunch of friends over for his "extended" lol birthday celebration and I was thinking of what veggie to do. This looks simple and easy. We're going to grill a lot of chicken so I'll make this while they're grilling. Sounds delicious!

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

30 Jun 2010 20:35 #8 by Sunshine Girl
So I made this tonight for the big gang for dinner. I think I over cooked it just a bit but it was DELICIOUS. Even the teenage boys liked it. Very easy and I would do it this way all the time. I did the pinenuts because I really like them. Yum, yum! :thumbsup:

" I'll try anything once, twice if I like it, three times to make sure. " Mae West

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds