Selling Out... What, like that's a bad thing?

06 Jan 2011 16:32 #1 by Biggie

A month or so ago, a friend and I found ourselves in a (surprisingly heated) debate over whether or not Johnny Depp had “sold out”. (Yes, I know this is a beer, wine, and liquor blog… just wait)

His stance was that Johnny Depp was a seriously talented actor who had strayed from the true art of his craft by making a third and wholly unnecessary ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ movie just to please the fans and had therefore sold out… My argument was that, hey… the whole point of acting is to entertain an audience (the fans), so fulfilling that role and giving the fans what they want, is about as true to the craft as you can get. It was clear we were never going to see eye to eye on this one, so we dropped the subject before feelings got hurt… at least I think so.

Fast forward a few weeks to the day I heard that Stranahan’s Whiskey had been bought out by a NY-based spirits company… My first thought was, of course, “What?!? Sell Outs!” But then I thought, well… I guess that’s the way this business goes. I mean, if you’re not in it to make money, then why even sell your product? Just hand it out to friends and family.

Fast forward to last night, when I received an email from a friend with whom I’d taken a tour of the distillery last year, lamenting over the Stranahan’s news… I responded with a, “I know, I’m so bummed…” or something else, equally as deep and thought-provoking. Then my mind went back to the Johnny Depp argument (see, I told you it was relevant) and I wondered, why I had judged Stranahan’s so harshly for making a logical business decision, when I thought nothing of Johnny D. doing the same thing? Did I value the food&wine craft more than I valued the acting craft? Possibly. Probably. Well, clearly.

But it’s more than that… I’ve always had fairly strong opinions on the issue of Quality vs. Quantity. It’s inevitable, in my opinion, that if you increase the quantity, the quality will take a hit. It’s the most basic of inverse relationships. When a tasty restaurant goes the way of the chain, I once again find myself “bummed”. So where does that leave Stranahan’s? Will it still truly be a “small-batch” whiskey? If they increase production, say even 10-fold, will it still taste as good? I’ll guess we’ll have to wait and see…

One thing we do know, at least for now, is that Stranahan’s will remain a true Colorado Whiskey… and as long as they keep making it, Biggie’s will keep selling it.

Much love to Johnny Depp…

Jennifer
(Jennifer is a New York transplant who works part time at Biggie Liquor, full time in an office, and wishes it were the other way around)

Biggie Wine and Liquors
biggiewine.com
We are in the King Soopers Shopping Center

Jon Guelzow is the owner of Biggie Liquors, the largest provider of wine, beer, and spirits along the 285 corridor. Pete has 25 years experience in liquor and Jon has 15 years. Best prices, best selection and knowledgeable staff. Come on by and see us!

Any questions about wine, beer or spirits for Jon, email . .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

13 Jan 2011 08:22 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Selling Out... What, like that's a bad thing?
I sure love Johnny Depp but quality is taking a hit on those movies. Let's hope it gets better with new actors coming up.

I really enjoyed this article. Thanks Jennifer.

13 Jan 2011 11:50 #3 by Biggie
Thanks, Cinnamon Girl... Hopefully Johnny Depp wasn't too offended by the article (since I'm certain he reads this blog...)

On another note, some of you may have noticed that we have been out of Stranahan's Whiskey lately... we haven't been able to get any from our distributor. We hope to have it back next Wednesday though... fingers crossed!

~Biggie

13 Jan 2011 11:52 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Selling Out... What, like that's a bad thing?
Hey Jennifer lets send it to him and see what he thinks. LOL

But seriously do you have any other liquors that is the rare stuff that is really worth the higher price?

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds