Suggestions for Home Page Experience for site

14 Feb 2012 15:39 #1 by Wily Fox aka Angela
I am big supporter of this site. I think it is doing good things, bringing the community together, keeping us connected to local businesses and fun.
I do have one criticism:
I don't know about others, but when I come here, I come to the home page and scan for threads and decide if I am "coming in" or not within 20 seconds. Most of the time, I don't "come in". Why?

Because the only threads showing are the campfire and courthouse and most of the time, there is nothing in the threads showing that interest me.

My random ideas to improve home page landing experience

1. Put the pet park threads and missing/found pets posts on home page. PC does this well showing one area for general discussions for pets and the other stickied threads for missing/found pets.

2. Show the top EAPL and IMHS top threads

3. Truncate the scanner posts for just the last day or two so that it doesn't take up valuable room - I don't care about an accident on the 9th of Feb when it's the 14th

4. Move the local news headlines to the bottom of the page and move 285bound.com threads UP the page.

5. If there is a way to show a thread that is active from another sections; then show a section for latest posts, no matter which section they are posted in.

anyway, just my 2 cents. I come here to learn/read about stuff going on around here and if I have to dig down a bunch of pages to find things, then I just close it and go back to Facebook.

Hope this is received in the spirit in which is meant - to help.

and of course, this is just MY opinion. I am sure that others have theirs and would be welcome to have them shared here.

cheers,
Angela

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Feb 2012 15:50 #2 by LOL
I agree with Wily. Don't like the home page layout at all, too long and spaced out. Needs better organization and layout, more compact. Also the forum topics lag in time I think. I just don't use it, sorry. jmho :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

21 Feb 2012 18:26 #3 by Communities Bound
Replied by Communities Bound on topic Suggestions for Home Page Experience for site
Thank you all for your feedback.

Right now 285Bound.com is waiting for Communities Bound new affiliate system which is extremely close to going live. We are very excited about it. This will allow for much more flexibility and make it very easy for our affiliates to move things around and the system has some other exciting new features that will be on the homepage and other parts of the site.

Coming up with a system this large has caused some delays but we are very close to going live with it on our [url=http://www.smokyhillbound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.smokyhillbound.com[/url] site. As soon as it has been tested a bit we will ask the members here to come on over and check it and the forums out then at some point there most likely be a move to this new system.

So, thanks for your patience and your feedback. Communities Bound is confident you will like the new system and you most likely will see some great new changes on the home page of 285Bound.com soon.

21 Feb 2012 19:00 #4 by LOL
Thanks, its really not too bad now, but things can always be improved. :) Good luck and keep us updated.

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds