New Template

09 Jul 2014 17:55 #21 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic New Template
Can the word Karma be replaced with Carmel and I'd like mine to say Spank You instead of Thank You.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Jul 2014 17:55 #22 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic New Template

LOL wrote:

pacamom wrote:

LOL wrote: Ditto on the Karma Pacamom. Here ya go, have another! :)

Thank you Sir, may I please have another?

Hmmmm, someone keeps cancelling them out. THATS IT!!!!

You mean there are people who don't like me? :(

09 Jul 2014 18:19 - 09 Jul 2014 18:20 #23 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic New Template

LOL wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: ... We always welcome feedback and suggestions because this site is here for you and we want you to enjoy participating here!

When are we going to get free Beer and Bacon? :)

Come to Elevation Celebration Saturday and I can at least get you free beer! B)

HEARTLESS wrote: Can the word Karma be replaced with Carmel and I'd like mine to say Spank You instead of Thank You.

I am NOT touching that with a 10' pole... :ohmy:

pacamom wrote:

LOL wrote:

pacamom wrote:

Because I've had some private communications expressing concern that the karma system is going to be used as a popularity contest, I need to emphasize this: karma is NOT for Liking your friends and Smiting those you Dislike. It is for rating posts. Even VL had some kick-a** posts that made us all laugh and deserved kudos, despite the fact that he was driving most of us up a wall the majority of the time, and pushing the limits of acceptable behavior just for the sake of getting a reaction. We want to reward good posts, not our favorite members, so as to improve the quality of content on the site, not run people off or turn this into a high school clique. If the system becomes abused in such a way, we can, and will, turn it off.

ScienceChic wrote: The concept behind them is for each member to be able to give their own input to other members in a way that's trackable (because when you reply to a post with a Dislike emoticon, there's no official "rating" of that post you Disliked). The goal is to reward good posts and discourage drive-by, shotgun trollish posts/insults (except where appropriate)/etc, not to have a popularity contest and artificially inflate your friends, or smite those you don't like personally. The result is that with you the members rating the quality of the posts themselves, regardless of who posted it, you are encouraging other members to improve their posting content and make this forum more enjoyable for guests and members alike based on peer review. Does that make sense, or am I explaining it weird?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

09 Jul 2014 21:21 #24 by Ashley
Replied by Ashley on topic New Template
Overall I am finding the new template easy to follow.

I do have one question though. How do you find out when you get a thank you what it was for? When I give a thank you I do see it posted below the post of the person I thanked. But not finding what post I am being thanked for. Am I overlooking something very simple to find it? Thanks.

09 Jul 2014 23:27 #25 by ScienceChic
That's a good question, as I've not seen anywhere in the research/forum posts on this feature if/where it lists exactly which posts a member is thanked for, and it hadn't occurred to me to ask. I'll do some digging and see if I can find out.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

10 Jul 2014 00:07 #26 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic New Template
Is there a setting for local time? I don't seem to have any problems with date time stamps for posts but when I PM other members the time is way off from the local time. My only other gripe is that I'm not getting e-mail notices of PMs but that's not a big deal, I can easily log in and check my PMs on the site. Otherwise I don't see a lot of difference from the previous iteration of this forum.

SC, thanks or all you do to keep this forum up and running, for letting your users gripe, and for taking meaningful action on issues that you can address.

Otis

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

10 Jul 2014 00:43 - 10 Jul 2014 00:51 #27 by ScienceChic
Time: noticed that myself today (it's not just PMs, but the time stamps on the Home Page Active Topics doesn't match up with when the posts were made either) and already sent a note off to the developer to address that. We had issues with the old forum not talking to the rest of the site on simple things like that and we had to monkey around with settings in the back end to get it to work before (remember when we couldn't get it to stop resetting back to Greenwich Mean Time every time you logged in - yeah, that. For the record I'd like to state that phpBB sucks and I'm happy to be done with it!). Now that we've removed the foreign forum software, we forgot to go back in and reset those things we'd changed. Should be fixed tomorrow.

Email notifications: ah-ha, something I can help with right away! :)

I don't know why, but the default in the back end is for there to be no email notifications for PM's you receive, and I can't find where to change that. But, you all have the ability to choose to receive them by going to your Profile Page (click on Profile in the menu bar above the forums, or click 'My Profile' under the 'Community' top menu item drop-down list.

Next click on 'Your Messages' and select either Show Private Inbox or Show Private Outbox, doesn't matter which.

Scroll down to the very bottom of the list of messages, there's an unobtrusive, yet important link titled 'Settings' - click that.

That opens up the box in which you can select which level of notifications to receive:
  • None
  • Email notification when offline only
  • Email Notifications of New Messages.
Choose which one you want, and click Save Changes.

If you choose Email notifications when offline only, there are 3 ways to see if you have new Private Messages:
1. Go to any page other than the forums, and you will see under your avatar on the top right-hand corner the message underneath that says "You have X new messages". Click that to access your Private Messages.

2. Click My Messages underneath the 'Community' menu item.

3. Click the Private Messages quick link at the top right corner of the forum.

Positive feedback, questions, and suggestions for improvement are never griping! Keep 'em coming!

The following user(s) said Thank You: otisptoadwater

10 Jul 2014 07:16 #28 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic New Template

ScienceChic wrote:

LOL wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: ... We always welcome feedback and suggestions because this site is here for you and we want you to enjoy participating here!

When are we going to get free Beer and Bacon? :)

Come to Elevation Celebration Saturday and I can at least get you free beer! B)

HEARTLESS wrote: Can the word Karma be replaced with Carmel and I'd like mine to say Spank You instead of Thank You.

I am NOT touching that with a 10' pole... :ohmy:

pacamom wrote:

LOL wrote:

pacamom wrote:

Because I've had some private communications expressing concern that the karma system is going to be used as a popularity contest, I need to emphasize this: karma is NOT for Liking your friends and Smiting those you Dislike. It is for rating posts. Even VL had some kick-a** posts that made us all laugh and deserved kudos, despite the fact that he was driving most of us up a wall the majority of the time, and pushing the limits of acceptable behavior just for the sake of getting a reaction. We want to reward good posts, not our favorite members, so as to improve the quality of content on the site, not run people off or turn this into a high school clique. If the system becomes abused in such a way, we can, and will, turn it off.

ScienceChic wrote: The concept behind them is for each member to be able to give their own input to other members in a way that's trackable (because when you reply to a post with a Dislike emoticon, there's no official "rating" of that post you Disliked). The goal is to reward good posts and discourage drive-by, shotgun trollish posts/insults (except where appropriate)/etc, not to have a popularity contest and artificially inflate your friends, or smite those you don't like personally. The result is that with you the members rating the quality of the posts themselves, regardless of who posted it, you are encouraging other members to improve their posting content and make this forum more enjoyable for guests and members alike based on peer review. Does that make sense, or am I explaining it weird?

So then what is the difference between Karma and Thank you? If they are both to rate posts, why two different ways?

10 Jul 2014 09:05 #29 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic New Template
Thanks for the orange highlights in the Thread titles!

Regarding the email notification, the radio button was already marked to receive email notifications in my profile settings. Re-set it anyway just in case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScienceChic

10 Jul 2014 09:11 - 10 Jul 2014 09:12 #30 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic New Template
"So then what is the difference between Karma and Thank you? If they are both to rate posts, why two different ways?"

Just now I Thank You'd two posts. If Karma was to acknowledge a good post, I could have only acknowledged one of those posters due to the 6 hour rule. Karma won't work well if used for that purpose.

Time to create page: 0.345 seconds