By 2020 there will be 1.2 million computing jobs unfilled

18 Jun 2013 23:19 #1 by ScienceChic
If you're looking for a career change, this might be a good one to pick - it's in demand!

The Alternate Universe of Over-Employed Web Developers
By Dani Fankhauser
6/15/13

"I have a friend who decided, part way into his second year of law school, to start coding. Two months later he was enrolled in Hacker School in New York, and three months later he was working as an intern at a consultancy that helps build websites for startups. A month into that internship — we’re talking a total of six months here — he was promoted to a full-time position worth $85,000."

It sounds both easy and lucrative, but Somers' hope is not to entice non-programmers to hop on the bandwagon. He complains that the imbalance in supply and demand of developers causes them to be overpaid for their work, when the value in what they do pales in comparison to, say, fighting AIDS in Africa. It's a fair criticism, but hidden in his disillusionment is truth: There are jobs available and there are affordable methods to get the skills you need for those jobs.

Educational site Treehouse's new jobs board is one example. Founder Ryan Carson says the company's mission is to teach tech to the whole world. Its video tutorials, Carson says, can teach someone skills for a developing job in six months. His goal is to better connect Treehouse's education resources with job opportunities.

The Bureau of Labor says by 2020 there will be 1.2 million computing jobs unfilled.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

19 Jun 2013 06:30 #2 by Nobody that matters
So the point is "Learn to Code and you have a job"? I'm in IT. I see the damage that coders without any knowledge of the basics of actual Computer Science can do. Their code is messy, disorganized, inefficient and hard to maintain.

I suppose creating websites is OK for 90 day wonders, but I hope they don't try to use that as a stepping stone to doing the real computer work behind the GUIs without learning the science first.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

25 Jun 2013 12:36 #3 by Reverend Revelant

Nobody that matters wrote: So the point is "Learn to Code and you have a job"? I'm in IT. I see the damage that coders without any knowledge of the basics of actual Computer Science can do. Their code is messy, disorganized, inefficient and hard to maintain.

I suppose creating websites is OK for 90 day wonders, but I hope they don't try to use that as a stepping stone to doing the real computer work behind the GUIs without learning the science first.

And those of us who have the actual Computer Science and understand business rules, understand finance, project management, customer/client services AND ARE 50 YEARS OR OLDER are being passed by (or laid off). For what ever reason (and I can't figure it out yet) the 90 day wonders have taken over the business.

Waiting for Armageddon since 33 AD

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds