Honest Fair Mechanic

25 Feb 2011 13:26 #1 by Valle Girl
Your post was a while back but I wanted to give you my experience in case you need a mechanic in future. Here it is:

I have a 2003 Nissan Frontier 4WD that needs both front controller arms assembly replaced. I am hoping to find a good mechanic that can do the install and not rip my head off. To be honest Sears wants $1400.00 dollars. They want over 1K for the parts and I can get them online for approx. $600.00. I have been told the labor time is about 4 hours.

If you are interested in giving me a bid please send me your information and I will be in touch ASAP.

Thanks

Thanks to those that responded to my call for a good and reasonable mechanic. I was told by peak nissan that this problem existed a couple of years ago and they quoted my $989.00 to "fix" the controller arm problem. As I said before, Sears a couple of weeks ago quoted me over $1400.00 to correct the problem with both controller arms.

After I posted I called a well known local repair shop and based on what I told them [could I buy the part and could they fix] their estimated repair time was 4 hrs @ $560.00 for labor. Sears wanted $500 + dollars for each part and $400 + for the labor.

After calling the local repair shop I called O'Malley's and spoke with Leo. I explained the problem as sears had explained it re: the bracket on the controller arm that holds the sway bar linkage and is attached to the sway bar was broken and was not a separate piece thus the expense of replacing the entire controller arm assembly. He, rightly so, said I couldn't drive the vehicle if the "controller arm" was broken, but he gave me his hourly rate to be $47.50 less than the "well known local repair shop" on 285 and CR 43. He also asked me to bring the vehicle in "now" and he would look at it. I spent 7.5 hrs at Sears waiting in line for them to "look at it" for the 2nd time and determine what had to be done, and locate and order a part.

Leo took one look and showed me [which had already been done] where the break was and told me he could weld a piece in to repair the bracket for under $100.00. I really should have known it could be welded but these bigger places think their customers are too stupid to question them I think or to comprehend anything this simple.

I took it to Leo today and he repaired the bracket AND he popped a dent out on my front fender, for UNDER $100.00 as promised, that a body shop on CR 73 on the eastern end of Evergreen said it would cost 963.00 to replace and paint. I know the fender cost is $263.00.

The point of this missive is to 1- Thank Leo and his Crew at O'Malley's for their honesty and their skill and for not trying to take advantage of me. I will never take my vehicle elsewhere as long as I am here, and I will tell every soul I know about this experience. 2-To encourage those of you, female or male, to look close to home for an intrinsically talented mechanic who is also honest and fair. Get more than one opinion and quote!

Thanks O'Malley's Leo and Crew. You're the best for sure!!!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds