Want to Live to 100? Read How!

11 Apr 2011 22:27 #1 by ScienceChic
It sounds hokey/corny, but stress causes all kinds of subtle, and not-so-subtle effects in the body, like depressing hormonal effects and DNA and protein repair mechanisms, which accumulate and adversely affect your cell's, and in turn, your body's ability to function at optimum. The damage builds, and shortens lifespan.

When I was pregnant with my daughter I developed gestational diabetes halfway through the pregnancy and had to start testing my blood sugar 4 times a day - when I got up after fasting all night and after every meal. I learned quickly which foods bumped me over the threshold, but even more surprising was when I'd have a bad/stressful day. No matter how healthy I'd eaten, my blood sugars were always highest when that happened - it's amazing the visceral reaction to seeing those results and realizing that it's not as easy a fix as avoiding a certain food, but even more important to attempt to alleviate! So go have a good laugh, hang out with some friends, go dancing, and let go of whatever is bothering you - your body will repay you!

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/11/135216852 ... c=fb&cc=fp
Want To Live To 100? Try To Bounce Back From Stress
by Dr. Mark Lachs
April 11, 2011

Unusual longevity often has a genetic basis, and Reichert probably does have a gene that contributes to her unusual longevity. But she also exhibits a powerful trait geriatricians call adaptive competence. I define it loosely as the ability to bounce back from stress.

You don't get to be 109 without life hurling a few curveballs at you, and Reichert has had more than her share: bereavement, gender discrimination, medical issues. And after each, she dusts herself off and moves on.

So if you're a boomer and you don't think your outlook on aging has any impact on the rest of your life, you might want to brighten your attitude a bit.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Apr 2011 23:27 - 11 Apr 2011 23:29 #2 by archer
My mom, at 93, is a prime example of this....she has faced a lot of adversity in her life, but she literally puts it behind her and deals with every new day as if she will live forever. I sure do hope I at least inherited her longevity gene, but I can certainly learn from her not to let the small stuff get me down. To her, anything short of death is small stuff. She still lives on her own, didn't give up driving till this year, teaches competitive/duplicate bridge classes twice a week and still plays duplicate bridge herself when she can find a skilled enough partner. She did have to give up the dance classes she tought a few years ago, her doc told her she was overworking her two knee replacements. For those who think that seniors should be put out to pasture.....they need to meet my mom.

11 Apr 2011 23:28 #3 by Rockdoc
Stress is one debilitating mental condition that affects the whole body. I've experienced this and can appreciate why it would have such a deleterious affect on our longevity.

12 Apr 2011 06:30 #4 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Want to Live to 100? Read How!
"Want to live to 100?"

NO!!!

12 Apr 2011 09:12 #5 by ScienceChic

TPP wrote: "Want to live to 100?"

NO!!!

I thought you were already older than dirt...? :Whistle

So we've only got, what, another 5 years puttin' up wit ya?! :biggrin: :wave: KissyFace: :heart:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Apr 2011 09:22 #6 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Want to Live to 100? Read How!
No, my Dad (who's still kicking a$$ & tak'in names at 85) is older than dirt!

rofllol If I am lucky less... lol

13 Apr 2011 14:56 #7 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Giminy, Sci Chi you could write several books on this subject. The interesting thing to me is that "stress" is often not mental or emotional and it has the same deleterious effect on longevity not to mention, in the moment. We all have issues with our perspective at times. If we are able to shift our perspectives, the stressful emotional situation in front of us often evaporates.

A good example is being cut off by a careless driver. I have the choice to have the perspective of anger at the driver's idiocy or relief that I was not harmed. Which one causes more long term harm to my body?

As far as stress that is not mental/emotional, well ,I deal with that professionally every day. It's what helping people with adrenal exhaustion is all about. Late nights, crappy eating, no exercise, gut infections, heavy metal and chemical toxicity are all examples of this.

Finally, as any stress increases a hormone called cortisol is released. Excess cortisol brings about insulin resistance and so blood sugar values will be affected.

Dr. T

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds