Chronic pain

20 May 2010 16:25 - 21 May 2010 03:16 #1 by DrMike
Chronic pain was created by DrMike
How many of you, including myself live with chronic pain? I have several clients who I deal with it on a daily basis living with chronic pain. Would be interested how you deal with it, maybe some of your tips would encourage many of us. One of my tips is stretching and walking. Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 May 2010 16:38 #2 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Chronic pain
A few years ago a doctor invited a co-worker and I to a group session he was hosting. It was a group of people with chronic pain. It was part meditation and part hypnosis and part learning how to relax. We all laid on the floor with our eyes closed as he talked us into relaxation and working thru the pain. I don't have chronic pain, but it was quite interesting. He was trying to determine the best protocol to do a study.

It was definitely relaxing as I fell asleep. This is something he didn't want us to do. He wanted us to learn to make ourselves relax and work thru the pain rather than just falling asleep. When I do have pain, I still practice the ideas he planted.

20 May 2010 16:45 #3 by The Viking
Replied by The Viking on topic Chronic pain
I found a simple solution. I just change the channel everytime Obama or Pelosi start to talk. Pain is gone! :Grin:

(Serious answer to follow.......) :Oops: :banned:

21 May 2010 03:19 #4 by DrMike
Replied by DrMike on topic Chronic pain
pacamom great advice, I found that while during my trip in the MRI tube, I could let go somewhat, and would drift off to sleep. I was always mindful why I was being tested, but letting go, does work. Thank you for sharing.

21 May 2010 14:05 #5 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Chronic pain

The Viking wrote: I found a simple solution. I just change the channel everytime Obama or Pelosi start to talk. Pain is gone! :Grin:

(Serious answer to follow.......) :Oops: :banned:

rofllol rofllol rofllol
Agreed

21 May 2010 14:10 #6 by TPP
Replied by TPP on topic Chronic pain
Vicodin, usually works, but the gout will seek up sometimes... Sometimes I don't take any, sometiomes as many as 4.

21 May 2010 14:35 #7 by LopingAlong
Replied by LopingAlong on topic Chronic pain
I don't have chronic pain except back pain that comes and goes. I use visualization, self-hypnosis and Reiki. Sometimes, even those things don't work if I let the pain cycle go too long. I find that for me, I need to nip it quickly and keep a positive attitude. When that fails, I just chant, "It's temporary, it's temporary." I know I can survive anything temporarily and keep picturing the happy ending. Also petting my dogs helps. They're always happy and like to share their joy!

21 May 2010 15:04 #8 by CC
Replied by CC on topic Chronic pain
medical marijuana?

21 May 2010 15:10 #9 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Chronic pain

TPP wrote: Vicodin, usually works, but the gout will seek up sometimes... Sometimes I don't take any, sometiomes as many as 4.

Having gout attacks has got to be one of the most painful conditions. Don't you take allopurinol or colchicine?

23 May 2010 18:12 #10 by DrMike
Replied by DrMike on topic Chronic pain
Colchicine works well for me, you just have to be ahead of the game when the pain starts. Since being on the Atkins diet, have not had any problems. Except post gout surgery comp.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds