3 die of rare brain infection from amoeba in water

22 Aug 2011 18:12 #2 by nothing wrong with me
Replied by nothing wrong with me on topic 3 die of rare brain infection from amoeba in water
I heard about this. They said it gets in through your nose?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

23 Aug 2011 00:31 #3 by ScienceChic
I didn't know this until I happened to see this article - just a PSA from your friendly science geeks! :)

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/art ... O_20110822
Just What is the Brain-Eating “Amoeba” Naegleria fowleri?
By Jennifer Frazer | August 17, 2011

In the press this week were reports (see here and here and here ) that the brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri has killed three people this summer, as it does in a typical year. The only trouble is, Naegleria isn’t a true amoeba.

Naegleria, it turns out, is only a distant relative of the Amoebozoa, the true amoebae, which generally lack flagellae. ...much more closely related to Euglena — the flagellated (tailed) photosynthetic single-celled organisms from high school and college biology lab — and Trypanosoma, the causal organisms of sleeping sickness and Chagas disease.

But as a result of its accidental nature, Naeglaria infection is quite rare in the United States — happening perhaps 2-3 times a year — especially compared to organisms that do seek us out in water. As a blog post at the L.A. Times points out:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the most commonly reported recreational water illness (RWI) is diarrhea, which can be caused by germs such as Cryptosporidium, Giardia, Shigella, norovirus and E. coli. These can be introduced into the water through trace amounts of fecal matter that cling to people’s bodies. The agency reports:

Swimmers share the water — and the germs in it — with every person who enters the pool. On average, people have about 0.14 grams of feces on their bottoms which, when rinsed off, can contaminate recreational water.

I'll betcha always wanted to know that last tidbit! :biggrin: Nose clips anyone?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

07 Sep 2011 11:19 #4 by rocky mtn thyroid center
This is one of the areas that I believe docs miss all the time.

If a parasite causes obvious g.i symptoms, then it is considered standard of care to treat it with an antiparasitic drug.

However, if the parasite is not eradicated either by the immune system or by a drug and still lives on in the person's gut, it is considered to be not a problem because of the lack of symptoms. It's not "pathogenic".

Never mind that it is wreaking havoc on your hormonal system, your nervous system, and your immune system.

What a weird double standard.

Dr. T

07 Sep 2011 11:22 #5 by Wayne Harrison
These amoebas live in the brain, not the gut.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds