What is happening?

24 Aug 2011 07:43 #1 by CinnamonGirl
What is happening? was created by CinnamonGirl
When you hear that cracking from getting an adjustment?

I always wanted to ask that question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

08 Sep 2011 15:57 #2 by chirodrk1
Replied by chirodrk1 on topic What is happening?
Hello Cinnamon Girl,

The noise you here during a manipulation is a release of gases from the cavity of a joint. Joints have a cavity in the center of them, and as a person moves around gases build up in the cavities. For example, take your knuckle, when you pull on one of your fingers you will extend the joint. As you stretch the finger further it will actually open the joint slightly allowing the gases to escape making a popping noise. When a chiropractor adjusts or manipulates the spine or different extremities, they are taking the joint to the extent of joint play. Upon applying pressure and giving the adjustment the joints are opening slightly, releasing those gases and thus allowing you to hear a popping sound. It doesn't always happen and its not the actual movement of the bones you are hearing. The joints upon manipulation are only moving a matter of millimeters. Hope this helps.

To Your Health
Dr Greg

08 Sep 2011 16:30 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic What is happening?
Dr. Greg it is so wonderful to see you! Thanks for the explanation. I can handle it everywhere except my neck. They have to use that other thing because the neck thing is too hard for me. I hate the cracking thing.

Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds