stinging in ankle

26 Aug 2011 10:31 #1 by CC
stinging in ankle was created by CC
Over the last year, I have developed an intermitant intense stinging sensation in my right ankle. There is no pattern to it. The stinging is pretty intense and can sometimes stop me in my tracks......any ideas on what this might be?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Aug 2011 12:11 #2 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic stinging in ankle
Gout, maybe.

That's what I had. It also caused my ankle to swell when it got really bad.

31 Aug 2011 06:25 #3 by outdoor338
Replied by outdoor338 on topic stinging in ankle
gout is a dull ache that grows by the hour, or minutes for some, then you feel like your big toe is going to explode, and you want to scream every time you move the foot. Your ankle can be many things, have you ever fractured it? Did you have frequent ankle sprains, maybe its arthritis...jmtcw

31 Aug 2011 10:20 #4 by Wayne Harrison
Replied by Wayne Harrison on topic stinging in ankle
For me, gout was stinging in the ankle (only on one foot). It never affected anything below that.

31 Aug 2011 14:35 #5 by outdoor338
Replied by outdoor338 on topic stinging in ankle
Wayne, I have never heard of gout stinging in the intial stages, but a dull ache in a joint or muscle. Thanks for sharing your experience. All, I know is, that many who have had gout and kideny stones, say gout is the worst...Becky get a blood test, if you have UA's above 6.3 then your doc may put you on Allopurinol, or some other gout med..do you have gout in your family?

07 Sep 2011 11:25 #6 by rocky mtn thyroid center
I think outdoor338 is right. Get a blood test including uric acid. If elevated, there are certainly other things to do than colchicine or allopurinol, although this is the medical standard of care.

Another possibility is nerve entrapment or a form of peripheral neuropathy.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds