Ganglion Cysts

01 Jul 2010 17:36 #1 by Cupcake
Ganglion Cysts was created by Cupcake
So, back around May sometime, I was doing a lot of things that utilized my wrists (dog brushing, data entry, car washing, etc) all in one day.

That evening, I noticed what appeared to be a bone sticking out of my wrist - didn't hurt unless I touched it.

Dizzy and freaking out about it, I got on WebMD and discovered that it was likely a Ganglion Cyst, sometimes called a "Bible Cyst" because back in the day - folks would slam a bible or a book on it to burst it. I was too chicken. WebMD also said it might go away on its own, so I went for that option.

Two weeks go by, no improvement, and increased pain upon movement. Saw the doc. Doc did what he could to "drain" it with a big fat needle, but said it had "hardened" and he wasn't able to get it all. He wrapped an ace bandage around the wrist, followed by a splint/wrist brace. said to wear it for a week, so I did.

It got all better!

...or so I thought.

Last week, it flared up again. I reapplied the ace bandage and splint, and have worn it religiously (except in the shower).

No improvement.

HELP!!!! :Help:

Anybody?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jul 2010 19:57 #2 by chocolove
Replied by chocolove on topic Ganglion Cysts
pm'd you...I have a lot of them!

01 Jul 2010 20:08 #3 by pacamom
Replied by pacamom on topic Ganglion Cysts
I had one once. Caught a piece of plywood sliding off the roof. Snapped my wrist back hard. It only hurt for a few seconds, and then I notice that the cyst was gone. I imagine it was similar to a whack with the bible.

01 Jul 2010 20:49 #4 by chocolove
Replied by chocolove on topic Ganglion Cysts
I have had one wrist smacked with a book, shot with cortisone, drained, and operated on. With my many years of gymnastics and springboard diving I have ganglions on all ankles and wrists. My worst times with them are when there is a lot of moisture in the air (which there has been lately). Ganglions are like an octopus...they have many arms that like to wrap around your nerves. Surgery had (when I was operated on) only a 50% chance of getting it all....mine came back but is much smaller. They only ever did anything to the ganglion on my right wrist and it has the smallest one. My left causes me more problems but then only with a lot of moisture in the air. I am much more comfortable since I moved to Colorado! My left wrist has been bothering me more the last few weeks with all the rain. When it is really bad, I will wrap my wrist in plastic and then in a ace bandage or one of those sweat bands just to keep it warm...really warm. Give me a call and I will see if I can help you out at all. Oh, one other thing...when it is bothering me I notice I can crack my wrist like you crack your knuckles (I squeeze it and it cracks) and sometimes that will help.

04 Jul 2010 12:41 #5 by Doc Washington
Replied by Doc Washington on topic Ganglion Cysts
There are various modalities that can help. Acupuncture, Chinese Herbs, Homeopathy, Manual Mobilization, even a wack with a book.. LOL.. The key is finding out where one is out of balance and then finding the right method of treatment that will work for you.

DR.W.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds