A Book That Will Change 'Your Medical Mind'

16 Nov 2011 22:37 #1 by ScienceChic
I can't stress enough that you must be your own best advocate, ask questions, seek multiple opinions for diagnoses and treatments, and decide what's best for you and your family.

http://www.npr.org/2011/09/15/140499582 ... dical-mind
A Book That Will Change 'Your Medical Mind'
by Liz Colville
September 20, 2011

In a country where medical treatment is seldom free and often expensive, deciding how to treat a health condition can be nearly as taxing as the condition itself. Adding to the pressure is the fact that many of us are seen by doctors who don't have the time to properly help us weigh our options.

This complex and often exasperating reality is the driving force behind Your Medical Mind , a collaboration between Jerome Groopman, the oncologist, New Yorker staff writer and author of the 2008 best-seller How Doctors Think , and his wife Pamela Hartzband, an endocrinologist and equally sharp observer of the medical world. Part psychological study and part self-help book, Your Medical Mind doesn't provide answers but, rather, insights into navigating the increasingly daunting and dysfunctional world of medicine. In other words, Groopman and Hartzband's desire is for doctors to be more patient, and for patients — whom the authors broadly categorized as either "doubters" or "believers" — to be better informed.

Dr. Groopman has quite a few other interesting books that you might want to check out as well: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_tc_2_0?r ... B001H6N59E
Second Opinions: Eight Clinical Dramas of Decision Making on the Front Lines of Medicine by Jerome E. Groopman (Feb 27, 2001)
The Measure of Our Days: A Spiritual Exploration of Illness by Jerome E. Groopman (Oct 1, 1998)
The Anatomy of Hope: How People Prevail in the Face of Illness by Jerome E. Groopman (Dec 23, 2003)

Are there any books that you've read during your health travels that you'd recommend to others to help them on their journey?

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Nov 2011 06:15 #2 by homeagain
I have "How doctors think" in MY library and it scared the sh** out of me......BEST book I have ever purchased. An eye-opener to anyone who
ever thought the doctor is always "right".....be your OWN advocate is absolutely imperative today. THANKS for the other list of books and
the "Medical Mind" recommendation......calling Barnes and NOble when they open today.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds