Back hurt? Knees ache? Regular neck pain? This will help!

27 Dec 2011 11:07 #1 by ScienceChic
I've learned this from 2 years of pilates: your posture affects you in ways that you don't even realize. Most of us don't consciously think about our posture, and most of us don't automatically have a good one. With conscientious effort, you can improve your posture, and help yourself in so many ways, not the least of which is fewer injuries as you get older and your ability to balance decreases. Rather than undergoing expensive, and often ineffective, back surgery, do simple exercises a few minutes every day to strengthen your front core and deep back muscles - you'll be amazed at the results, and so much happier!

http://lifehacker.com/5870765/test-and- ... +toe-guide
Test and Fix Your Posture with This Head-to-Toe Guide
By Melanie Pinola
Dec 23, 2011

Posture problems are rampant, especially among those of us who work hunched over our keyboards all day. If you're not sure if your posture needs fixing or are sure and want some help, this guide from Men's Health is for you.

The first step is to analyze your alignment by having a friend take a full-body photo of you (with your shorts on) from the front and from the side. Then compare against the 7 points in the illustration above.

Check out the full article for the other six major posture corrections.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 Dec 2011 19:12 #2 by RY
great info, SC, and pilates integrates the physical part of yoga, that is where it originated from.Having practiced yoga for over 30 years I totally agree to the benefits! Alignment is key and to "fix" back problems I keep telling my students we need to strengthen the abs (they hate the boat pose that accomplishes that at first, but at the end of the 15 week semester ALL of them show and agree how much it helped them). However, for a complete body/mind/spirit balance there needs to be meditation and breathing incorporated for me. Thanks for the link!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds