5 Medical Advances Predicted for 2012

01 Jan 2012 15:56 #1 by ScienceChic
I'm particularly excited for the cancer vaccine trial results! I didn't realize that there were so many underway, and the hope that they will be broadly applicable is potentially the biggest thing since penicillin.

From the studies that I have read, I'm not so convinced that the malaria vaccine will pan out as well as hoped, but I'd be glad to be wrong about that. Prediction #3 only applies to the U.S., and I really wouldn't consider it a medical advance, more a common sense advance thankfully trumping politics, #4 is okay, and I wouldn't consider #5 a medical advance either, although increased access to medical care is good for lowering the overall economic burden on tax payers. It remains to be seen if people actually take advantage of better health care and maintain a healthier lifestyle to reduce health costs.

I would add to this list advances in: robotic prostheses for amputees , a universal flu vaccine , improved cancer screening using dogs , and reprogramming regular old skin cells to behave like embryonic stem cells - removing the controversial need for embryos and opening up the possibility of researching diseases in a whole new way.

What have you heard about that strikes you as a big advance or is something you are looking forward to seeing become available as a treatment?

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/2057-5 ... -2012.html
5 Medical Advances Predicted for 2012
Dec 30, 2011
Lauren Cox

Great medical feats were accomplished in 2011. Dallas Wiens became the first recipient of a full-face transplant in the United States, Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords survived a gunshot to her brain, and HIV researchers found a way to lower an infected person's chance of transmitting the virus to sexual partners by 96 percent.

What significant advances can we expect in 2012? Here are five predictions, provided to MyHealthNewsDaily by experts in their fields.

Prediction 1: Medicine gets closer to treating cancer with vaccines.
Prediction 2: Malaria vaccine development will advance.
Prediction 3: Millions will breathe easier, thanks to new regulations.
Prediction 4: Many crucial drugs will become cheaper.
Prediction 5: Legislation will make it easier to choose health insurance.

Another perspective:
http://www.meditrenz.com/top-5-medical- ... -2011.html
Top 5 Medical Breakthroughs of 2011
Author: Crystalyn D. Betito

So here are the Top 5 Medical Innovations of 2011 chosen among 80 nominations by the Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

1. A Hope for Melanoma Cancer Patients
2. A Way to Detect Alzheimer’s Disease Early
3. A Warning Against Heart Disease
4. A Vaccine for Prostate Cancer
5. A Cure for Hepa-C

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds