Justice!

24 May 2010 17:32 #1 by ScienceChic
Justice! was created by ScienceChic
http://apnews.excite.com/article/201005 ... EH580.html
May 24, 4:59 PM (ET)

By MARIA CHENG

LONDON (AP) - The doctor whose research linking autism and the vaccine for measles, mumps and rubella influenced millions of parents to refuse the shot for their children was banned Monday from practicing medicine in his native Britain.

Dr. Andrew Wakefield's 1998 study was discredited - but vaccination rates have never fully recovered and he continues to enjoy a vocal following, helped in the U.S. by endorsements from celebrities like Jim Carrey.

On Monday, Britain's General Medical Council, which licenses and oversees doctors, found Wakefield guilty of serious professional misconduct and stripped him of the right to practice medicine in the U.K.

The council was acting on a finding in January that Wakefield and two other doctors showed a "callous disregard" for the children in their study, published in 1998 in the medical journal Lancet. The medical body said Wakefield took blood samples from children at his son's birthday party, paying them 5 pounds (about $7.20) each and later joked about the incident.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 May 2010 18:51 #2 by Rockdoc
Replied by Rockdoc on topic Justice!
He may be a doctor but has 0 brain cells devoted to common sense. It also seems he is really not a good scientist with his work discredited. One needs to be careful in making such a statement (seems). Sometimes good science gets rebuked because of jealousy.

27 May 2010 22:53 #3 by RenaissanceLady
Replied by RenaissanceLady on topic Justice!
This is very good news.

"I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children's children, because I don't think children should be having sex."
-- Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy.

"Jesus loves me, this I know.
Touch your savior by the toe.
If he hollers, let him go.
And Bingo was his name-o."
-- Deeper Thoughts by RenaissanceLady

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds