Structured water?

02 Aug 2010 11:15 #1 by Blazer Bob
Structured water? was created by Blazer Bob
Looking to get some input from science types regarding the benefits of structured water. Here is a link to one site that extols the virtue's. I would blow it off as an infomercial for some new age BS, but our MD thinks there is something to it.
TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Aug 2010 14:48 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Structured water?
Neptune - you forgot the link! Can you re-post so we can check it out?

In the meantime, I had my own ideas and Googled to see if there is any evidence one way or the other out there. It looks like this is another example of "snake oil" salesmanship. Much like the previously hyped "alkaline water", this has no credible merit based on chemistry, physics, or biology. It is impossible to "structure" water - it is constantly dynamic, at picosecond speeds or faster, in its rearranging with its environment. It would be impossible to "place" a vitamin, mineral, or anything inside a structure of water and have it stable. Any other such molecules that it comes into contact with (even a solution of the same supposed type of ingredients) would start swapping water molecules instantly and break down any ordered "structure". Truth is, vitamins and minerals are already dissolved in water (except the fat-soluble ones) and undergo rearrangement already naturally. Here is a website that rather harshly explains it, but does do a thorough job of explaining it:
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html
http://www.chem1.com/acad/sci/aboutwater.html

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Aug 2010 21:01 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Structured water?

Science Chic wrote: Neptune - you forgot the link! Can you re-post so we can check it out?

In the meantime, I had my own ideas and Googled to see if there is any evidence one way or the other out there. It looks like this is another example of "snake oil" salesmanship. Much like the previously hyped "alkaline water", this has no credible merit based on chemistry, physics, or biology. It is impossible to "structure" water - it is constantly dynamic, at picosecond speeds or faster, in its rearranging with its environment. It would be impossible to "place" a vitamin, mineral, or anything inside a structure of water and have it stable. Any other such molecules that it comes into contact with (even a solution of the same supposed type of ingredients) would start swapping water molecules instantly and break down any ordered "structure". Truth is, vitamins and minerals are already dissolved in water (except the fat-soluble ones) and undergo rearrangement already naturally. Here is a website that rather harshly explains it, but does do a thorough job of explaining it:
http://www.chem1.com/CQ/clusqk.html
http://www.chem1.com/acad/sci/aboutwater.html

Thanks for the reply. This is the link I was looking at: http://www.ultimatestructuredwater.com/ ... ersity.htm

I understand your point, but not being a science dude, you lost me on the specifics after your 3'rd sentence. Any chance that the prills could keep the pH in a hot tub balanced?
Thanks again.

03 Aug 2010 21:13 #4 by Local_Historian
Replied by Local_Historian on topic Structured water?
Excuse me sir, why is there a small lego building in my glass?

You ordered structured water, ma'am.

04 Aug 2010 10:06 #5 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Structured water?

neptunechimney wrote: Thanks for the reply. This is the link I was looking at: http://www.ultimatestructuredwater.com/ ... ersity.htm

I understand your point, but not being a science dude, you lost me on the specifics after your 3'rd sentence. Any chance that the prills could keep the pH in a hot tub balanced?
Thanks again.

You're welcome! Sorry I'm still working on my skills at breaking down tech speak! One of the hardest things for me to learn through my research and classes is picturing what goes on in our cells as a constant motion, dynamic environment - static pictures in textbooks never capture the imagination, or do real-life justice - and it's difficult for me to convey that understanding. Try to imagine water thusly -picture several ^ shaped molecules (water at its most basic form H-O-H at a bent angle) bouncing into each other and, in that process, briefly forming weak bonds with each other and changing shape and you kind of get an idea of what water is constantly doing both inside and outside of our bodies. If there is anything dissolved in the water - ions, vitamins, minerals, etc - the water will form weak, extremely brief interactions with them and then get bounced right back off again.

As to whether structured water will keep the pH in a hot tub balanced, not likely. The short answer is that water cannot pH itself. pH is the measurement of the concentration of hydrogen atoms in a liquid and it goes from a range of 0-14 with 7 being neutral. If you want to lower the pH of a solution, you generally need to use a chemical that has a stronger concentration of hydrogen (sodium bisulfate commonly used, in its pure undiluted form has a pH of 1.4) and if you want to raise the pH to a more alkaline level, then you need a chemical that, when it dissociates in water, will bind up free hydrogen ions thereby increasing the pH.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds