Wheat bread and ground glass

21 Apr 2013 18:15 #1 by Blazer Bob
I just started reading a thread re: health, diet etc. With out commenting on the content, I thought this well written.

"
ig

of 23937

and it makes a big impact.
Indeed it does. I get a big, positive response from my body when I go totally "clean." NO sugar, NO alcohol, NO wheat, etc. I should do it more often. (Famous first words.)

There's a lot of "eat this, not that" going around where the "this" is merely less bad.
Yep. When someone says...

"At least my whole wheat bread isn't as bad as Wonder Bread!"

...I have to bite my tongue to keep from coming back with something like, "By that logic, have yourself a teaspoon of ground glass -- it's not as bad as 10 teaspoons!" If it's bad, it's bad.

I have always found it easier to stop something entirely than to moderate it.
The biggest trap for me is Substitution. Trying to substitute Splenda for sugar, or flaxseed cupcakes for wheat cupcakes, just keeps alive the desire for the real thing.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsgs ... htype=Next

This is a link to the thread header: http://www.siliconinvestor.com/subject. ... ctid=57520

Some snips from the thread intro, I have not read most of these but I can say the poster is a healthy ~79 and a cancer survivor:
Edit, the source post has hot links which do not come thru with copy/paste.

THE BASICS:

Wheat Belly: Quick and Dirty Diet

INTERVIEW WITH DR DAVIS, 2008

Long-Term Prognosis Associated With Coronary Calcification:

If you have been diagnosed as having Heart Disease
Message 24981152

The Track Your Plaque Program, by William Davis MD
Message 25020991

THREE POWERFUL REASONS TO TRACK YOUR PLAQUE.
Message 24867962

siliconinvestor.com
Winning Your Personal War with Heart Disease:[/tag]

Can heart disease be reversed?
Message 24813138

How to Reverse Heart Disease with the Coronary Calcium Score
Message 24744798

The Track Your Plaque "Rule of 60"
Message 24699498

Tip the scales towards plaque reversal
Message 24813327

American Heart Association acknowledges the power of Heart Scans to predict heart attacks!
Message 24858584

Ebt Scans: "Yes, Johnnie, there really is an Easter bunny"
Message 24739038

CT heart scans and radiation: The real story
Message 24922968

Do stress tests really add any information?

siliconinvestor.com
Understanding the Entire Lipid profile[/tag]

TYP recommends using the NMR test done by Liposcience Corp
Message 25013778

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) An Advanced User's Guide

Atrial Fibrillation and Heart Disease

Computing real LDL from normal lab LDL

BLOOD PRESSURE: Normal blood pressure may be high blood pressure!
Message 24850250

Does high cholesterol cause heart disease?
Message 25020677

Coronary plaque: Is your thyroid to blame?
Message 24888554

Extinguishing Inflammation: A Practical Guide
Message 25122009

HDL: Why it's so important
Message 24827262

HDL Cholesterol and HDL Subclasses - Raising them.
Message 24805009

HDL: Higher is better

Homocysteine: An Update

LDL of 60 mg reverses plaque

Very low-density lipoproteins (VLDL)

Lipoprotein (a) – A Hidden Risk Factor for Heart Disease and Stroke
Message 24888483

Unique Strategies for Lipoprotein(a) Reduction

Lipoprotein Checklist: Lipoprotein(a)
Message 25101652

Lipoprotein Analysis:
Message 24864225

Lipoprotein Checklist: Small LDL
Message 25012916

lipoprotein test? What's the best?
Message 25035990

Metabolic Syndrome - Shutting off
Message 24957861

Triglycerides - Mother of Meddlesome Particles
Message 24827265

Triglycerides - A Nutritional Approach
Message 24833701

C-Reactive Protein:

PRESCRIPTIONS
High-dose Lipitor® fails to stop increase in heart scan score

Statins
Message 24833716

Other Drugs
Message 24873359

SUPPLEMENTS:

A QUICK NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENT LIST
Message 24833825

DHEA: What role in your program?

FISH OIL - You probably don't take enough fish oil
Message 25037527

IODINE

l-arginine - How important?
Message 24713741

L-Arginine: An essential amino acid to shrink coronary plaque
Message 25092268

Magnesium

Magnesium—crucial nutrient for health
Message 24836388

Magnesium

Omega-6 / omega-3 ratio, By Dr Davis
Message 24827306

Soy Protein Powder
Message 24874923

testosterone to treat lipoprotein disorders

Vitamin C, By Dr Davis
Message 24827365

Vitamin D, "How much should I take?"
Message 24869788

Vitamin D and HDL - By Dr Davis
Message 24858480

Vitamin D - Track Your Plaque data abstract
Message 24739010

Vitamin D and programmed aging?
Message 24741856

Vitamin D and Plaque Regression Data
Message 24806976

Vitamin D Framingham Heart Study
Message 24819921

50 minute video[/url][tag]Vitamin D Pandemic and its Health Consequences 50 minute video[/tag]

The case against ergocalciferol (vitamin D2) as a vitamin supplement
Message 24904172

Vitamin K Study

Vitamin K2 update

DIET

HOW I LOSE A POUND A WEEK

What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie?
Message 25028553

siliconinvestor.com
The NEW Track Your Plaque Diet: Part 1[/tag]

The NEW Track Your Plaque Diet: Part 2

The NEW Track Your Plaque Diet: Part 3

Diet Principle #1: Choose the Right Fats
Message 24878899

Diet Principle #2: Foods Should Be Rich In Fiber
Message 24878923

Diet Principle #3: Foods Should Be Unprocessed
Message 24878930

Diet Principle #4: Choose Foods With Low Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load
Message 24878963

Diet Principle #5: Create New Habits
Message 24878969

Diet Principle #6: Food Should Be Enjoyed!

Message 24878975

Get Fat on a Low-Fat Diet
Message 24957860

MEDICAL STUDIES

COURAGE TRIAL SUMMARY

CourageTrial Abstract

ENHANCE STUDY

ERA JUMP STUDY - FISH OIL

Jupiter study critique

Low vitamin D linked to sudden cardiac death

REFERENCES

A list of web resources

Glycemic Index (GI) and Glycemic Load (GL) Values

NUTRIENT DATA LABORATORY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 Apr 2013 10:09 #2 by Mtn Gramma
I've been reading Wheat Belly, not sure if I believe it's the 11th Commandment or not. There is a lot of good information in the book, however.

22 Apr 2013 10:35 #3 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: I've been reading Wheat Belly, not sure if I believe it's the 11th Commandment or not. There is a lot of good information in the book, however.

I do not know. The fellow who started the thread is 78 and goes dancing most every night. He believes in it.

22 Apr 2013 18:35 #4 by Mtn Gramma
The person who recommended it to me swears by it also. I'm not finished with the book yet - I'll let you know what I think after I'm done.

24 Apr 2013 22:13 #5 by Blazer Bob
Aspirin Reduces Cancer Mortality and Risk for Distant Metastases

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/760565%3C/a%3E

March 20, 2012 — Evidence from 3 new studies demonstrates that aspirin can reduce the risk for cancer-related mortality and can reduce or prevent the risk for distant metastasis.

Peter M. Rothwell, MD, PhD, professor of clinical neurology at the University of Oxford, United Kingdom, was lead author on all 3 studies.

In the first study, published online March 21 in the Lancet, comparing daily aspirin with no aspirin to prevent vascular events, aspirin use reduced the risk for nonvascular death in all 51 trials examined (1021 vs 1173 deaths; odds ratio [OR], 0.88; P = .003). When data from 34 trials were examined (n = 69,224; 89% of total cohort), there were fewer deaths from cancer in the aspirin than in the control group (562 vs 664 deaths; OR, 0.85; P = .008).

Dr. Rothwell and colleagues note that even though the decreased risk for major vascular events in these trials was initially offset by a higher risk for major bleeding, both of these effects diminished over time, leaving only the reduced risk for cancer after 3 years.

02 May 2013 18:35 #6 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: I've been reading Wheat Belly, not sure if I believe it's the 11th Commandment or not. There is a lot of good information in the book, however.

I just started it today. What is your take on it so far?

03 May 2013 17:01 #7 by Mtn Gramma
The author provides a lot of information but some of it I need to verify. For example, the author states that a slice of bread has a higher GI than a baked potato. I'm not finding that to be true so far on various lists I've Googled.

I'm having a hard time seeing wheat as being the "Great Satan" and the cause of every illness known to man. But I'm sticking with reading it and trying to keep a mind.

05 May 2013 21:56 #8 by Blazer Bob

Mtn Gramma wrote: The author provides a lot of information but some of it I need to verify. For example, the author states that a slice of bread has a higher GI than a baked potato. I'm not finding that to be true so far on various lists I've Googled.

I'm having a hard time seeing wheat as being the "Great Satan" and the cause of every illness known to man. But I'm sticking with reading it and trying to keep a mind.

I agree it reads like another in a long line of fad scams. Wheat good for eons until big Agra turned it into poison in order to get higher yields.

In spite of that, whatever the science, I have to give credence to people who support it. This is not just off the Internet kind of stuff. These are people I have cyber-known for 10-15 years.

"To: Newly2b who wrote (24174)

5/5/2013 9:37:33 PM
of 24175

IMO, losing the 35 lbs I lost was the single most effective measure that brought my BP permanently down, and that weight was lost through diet and exercise.

However you get there is the way to go. I know I have aroused some feelings here over my "just stop eating wheat and sugar" approach. I feel that we need to find a way to get people to listen to us. People really notice my 60 pound loss and ask me about it. I use the opportunity to evangelize them about our program.

We all know that people are sick of hearing "diet and exercise." They failed with that approach. That is why I hit them with "I just quit eating wheat and sugar." Surprises the hell out of them and gets their interest. I spent time last night with a friend, age 60, 6' and 270, trying to get him motivated. I flat out told him:

"you are a walking heart attack."

"you are looking for a place to die."

"The most important thing you can do is lose weight."

If this doesn't get though to him, nothing will. He is one of these, "I don't go to the Doctor because I don't want bad news," types. Did my approach work? TWT.

I do know that this blog is the most important thing I am doing with my life.

If you want to interest people, feed them what we do in little doses. People tend to fall into the use of UBF. Stands for "Universal Blab Force." The desire to tell them everything we know. Just feed them a few key lines and wait for a response before giving them more. This is a big sales job."

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg. ... d=28876904

06 May 2013 08:55 #9 by Mtn Gramma
Still reading.

We've cut back on carbs, primarily wheat, and upped most veggies and fruits. Sweet potato instead of white, etc. We're also trying to satisfy our sugar craving with fruit. If you seriously read labels you'll see that wheat and/or gluten is in just about everything. I don't want to spend more time in the grocery store than I currently do, so that's why we're reducing, not eliminating, wheat. It will be interesting to see what impact reducing our wheat intake (rather than eliminating it) has.

Whenever hubby wants to lose a few pounds he eliminates white food. lol

06 May 2013 10:29 #10 by MellowYellow
I bought some Buckwheat as well as Golden Flax Seed (we already mix the dark flax seed in with all kinds of things).
So, far, I added the Golden Flax to a chef's salad and made Buckwheat Cornbread, which is YUMMY, BTW!

I do agree that totally eliminating wheat absolutely won't work - just "watching" it and eating less the best we can will have to do.

Need to do some additional research on wheat tho........according to some sources, the wheat we now have in our diet is genetically altered which has made it so "bad". Guess I have to agree that modern science has "screwed" with almost all the food we eat. I'd like to see I there is actually 100% "pure" wheat.

An example of one product that has been modified, and is nearly out of existence, is the old-time Jonathan variety of apple. These apples were always available in the Fall when we were younger - they were really famous for apple dunking at Halloween time. At any rate, the grocery stores carry everything BUT a real Jonathan - there are now Jonagolds and other "Jona somethings". Last Fall, I did some digging and found a very few places that actually have these in their true form. Growers now purchase the Jonathans to graft in other varieties for producing larger and less expensive fruits. Luckily, I was able to locate an orchard in Penrose south of Colorado Springs. I was so happy!

The one thing I know for a fact is that my grandparents and their parents all lived a very long time eating the wheat they grew, etc.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds