Drowning Doesn’t Look Like Drowning

05 Jun 2013 09:32 #1 by Blazer Bob
I had no idea.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... n_the.html

........."How did this captain know—from 50 feet away—what the father couldn’t recognize from just 10? Drowning is not the violent, splashing call for help that most people expect. The captain was trained to recognize drowning by experts and years of experience. The father, on the other hand, had learned what drowning looks like by watching television. If you spend time on or near the water (hint: that’s all of us) then you should make sure that you and your crew know what to look for whenever people enter the water. Until she cried a tearful, “Daddy,” she hadn’t made a sound. As a former Coast Guard rescue swimmer, I wasn’t surprised at all by this story. Drowning is almost always a deceptively quiet event. The waving, splashing, and yelling that dramatic conditioning (television) prepares us to look for is rarely seen in real life.

The Instinctive Drowning Response—so named by"............

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2013 09:35 #2 by Blazer Bob
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... n_the.html

"Correction, June 4, 2013: The subhead for this piece originally misstated that in 10 percent of drownings, adults are nearby. In 50 percent of child drownings, adults are nearby; in 10 percent of those, adults are watching but do not know the victim is drowning."

05 Jun 2013 13:21 #3 by ScienceChic
Good info, I wouldn't have known that either. Thanks for enlightening us Blazer Bob.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

05 Jun 2013 14:09 #4 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: Good info, I wouldn't have known that either. Thanks for enlightening us Blazer Bob.

Just a word to the wise. I had you in mind because I think you are only poster here who has children under the age of forty. :Whistle

05 Jun 2013 14:15 #5 by ScienceChic
LOL I think I'm the only poster here under the age of 40. lol

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

06 Jun 2013 09:24 #6 by Mtn Gramma
Wow! Definitely forwarding this to my kids. Thanks, Bob.

06 Jun 2013 11:22 #7 by homeagain
What a eye-opening piece of information! THANKS for the "re-set" because I would have NOT understood what I was seeing (also).

The one scene that will FOREVER stick in my mind is from a 1990's movie called "The Abyss".....(director James Cameron).....one scene
requires the actor to "drown" so she can be saved from a deep dive death.....she then is rescued and resuscitated later. The scene
is shot in an enclosed capsule and icy cold water is slowly seeping into the small space while she is desperately attempting to keep
her head above waterline......as the water reaches her upturned nostrils she finally accepts the inevitable and relaxes....bone-chilling
scene that sticks in my mind and I can't shake it away......

06 Jun 2013 11:30 #8 by Nobody that matters
I was taught that same thing in red cross and BSA lifesaving training a considerable number of years ago. I've seen it. I've been thanked by the victims I pulled from the water. I now pass the same information on in every water safety talk I give.

BTW, I've got kids - 14 and 9 :) Not all of us are fossilized yet :biggrin:

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

14 Jun 2013 19:51 #9 by ScienceChic
Boy drowns in Thornton Pool
Posted: Jun 9, 2013

Police say citizens found a 4-year-old boy floating face down in the adult pool. They pulled him from the water and began CPR, but he could not be saved 9News.com reported.

There were allegedly 50 people or so including family members around the pool at the time of the drowning. One of the terrible statistic of children downing incidents is that they occur so quickly and sometimes when there are large groups of adults because they all assume some one else has their eye on the children or child.

Or they don't recognize the symptoms of drowning, apparently, as well.

Something else I'd always wondered was what a rip tide looked like. Found this:

File Attachment:

From National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)'s Page

Here's a great VIDEO that puts it all in your visual perspective and gives you a couple easy tips on how to "Break the Grip of the Rip" and escape from a rip current: http://bit.ly/MqUse2

*Your first line of defense is to read the surf forecast BEFORE you head to the beach. NOAA's National Weather Service is your first stop for this critical safety information: http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/forecasts.shtml

NOAA photo: A rip current, as seen from the beachgoer's perspective.

14 Jun 2013 20:52 #10 by Blazer Bob

Science Chic wrote: []Or they don't recognize the symptoms of drowning, apparently, as well.

]

That seems a distinct possibility. I posted the OP link on the comments page. Perhaps some enterprising TV news editor or web site owner could make it a crusade.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds