the future of psychiatry may be inside your stomach

21 Aug 2013 14:11 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/45957 ... ur-stomach

..."That’s what prompted Greenblatt to take a surprising approach: besides psychotherapy and medication, Greenblatt also prescribed Mary a twice-daily dose of probiotics, the array of helpful bacteria that lives in our gut. The change in Mary was nothing short of miraculous: within six months, her symptoms had greatly diminished. One year after the probiotic prescription, there was no sign that Mary had ever been ill.

Her parents may have been stunned, but to Greenblatt, Mary’s case was an obvious one. An imbalance in the microbes in Mary’s gut was either contributing to, or causing, her mental symptoms. “The gut is really your second brain,” Greenblatt said. “There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.”

Greenblatt’s provocative idea — that psychiatric woes can be solved by targeting the digestive system — is increasingly reinforced by cutting-edge science. For decades,"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

21 Aug 2013 15:55 #2 by BuyersAgent
Mom: "Why aren't you eating?"
Me: "I hate it, it's not edible and tastes like dirt."
Mom: "It's all in your head."

Get this, Mom: It's just the other way around!

As a now-old but former "picky-eater" kid who had to sit at the table until the plate was clean, often until the next meal was served, I really enjoyed reading the article and appreciate your posting it. The gourmet fare may have been terrific for my parents, but I weighed less than 100 pounds until I moved out, and thereupon changed both my eating habits and myself.

In a similar vein, it's my understanding that stomach ulcers are also based on an imbalance of bacterial growth and subject to remedy through various antibiotics. So much for the "he's high-strung and too nervous of a person" condemnation that was popular when I was growing up. Those poor people tried everything to "be more relaxed," when it turns out they were infected instead.

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds