Breakfast Is the Most Important Meal for Dieters

29 Aug 2013 13:39 #1 by ScienceChic
Go to the article if you'd like to listen to the podcast instead.

Breakfast Is the Most Important Meal for Dieters
Women who ate half of 1,400 daily calories at breakfast lost almost 80 percent more weight than women who ate half their 1,400 calories at dinner.
Katherine Harmon reports
August 15, 2013

Your mother was right: breakfast is the most important meal of the day—especially if you're looking to lose weight. And the bigger the better, according to a new study in the journal Obesity. [Daniela Jakubowicz et al., High Calorie Intake at Breakfast versus Dinner Differentially Influences Weight Loss of Overweight and Obese Women ]

But shouldn't a calorie be just a calorie, whether it's eaten morning, noon or night? Not quite. Timing, it turns out, is key.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Aug 2013 14:29 #2 by FredHayek
Makes sense to me. Take on the calories before the day begins. When your body can use them.
The worst is taking on food before you sleep.

My farm family used to have big breakfasts, big picnic lunches during plowing and harvesting season, but just soup and bread for dinner. Why waste that expensive, high calorie food for sleep?

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Aug 2013 18:57 #3 by serenity
Fred: The answer is 'cause it tastes soooooooooooooooo good!!!!

To err is human, to forgive is canine~

29 Aug 2013 19:41 #4 by FredHayek
The one issue with heavy carb meals at breakfast and lunch is it does tend to tire you out.

If I do have a heavy evening meal, I will try to walk for an hour to increase my metabolism.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

29 Aug 2013 22:08 #5 by Mtn Gramma
If you focus on high protein sources rather than high carb, you don't get sluggish and you aren't hungry soon after.

01 Sep 2013 19:24 #6 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Breakfast Is the Most Important Meal for Dieters

Mtn Gramma wrote: If you focus on high protein sources rather than high carb, you don't get sluggish and you aren't hungry soon after.

If all you do is focus on your food you'll never gain weight, eating it is what kills you

01 Sep 2013 21:36 #7 by Mtn Gramma
Exactly. :rofllol

10 Sep 2013 17:50 #8 by UNDER MODERATION
Replied by UNDER MODERATION on topic Breakfast Is the Most Important Meal for Dieters
I'm focusing on a Pork Chop right now, man that looks good.

10 Sep 2013 18:07 #9 by mountaindollar

10 Sep 2013 18:49 #10 by Blazer Bob

mountaindollar wrote: BACON

Bacon, did someone say bacon.

:grilling:

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds