Alzheimer's Test: Can You Smell Peanut Butter?

09 Oct 2013 22:51 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://www.newser.com/story/175622/alzh ... utter.html

– How's this for a low-tech way of diagnosing Alzheimer's: sniffing peanut butter. Researchers at the University of Florida have discovered some merit to the bizarre-sounding notion, reports Futurity. Knowing that patients in cognitive decline often lose their sense of smell first, the researchers had patients sniff a dollop of peanut butter with each nostril separately. They used a ruler to measure the point at which people detected the odor (and to keep the other nostril closed)."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

09 Oct 2013 22:58 #2 by otisptoadwater
I know BS when I smell it but not so much sure about peanut butter; when my nephew complains about the aroma of the air in Greeley (he's attending UNC) I remind him that it's ultimately the smell of money!

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

12 Oct 2013 16:18 #3 by BuyersAgent
otis, my UNC Graduate School (audiology) daughter says you get used to it -- so tell nephew to hang in there, as it will get better...or at least seem better, anyway. :wink:
She could never have stayed all 8 years if the place had continued to seasonally smell (in approximately this order) of chives, rotting crops, cattle feed, cattle you-know-what -- "or whatever." But notwithstanding various jokes and snide remarks made about it by her older sister, she did! and is now nicely educated, too. lol
Daughter left for UNC freshman year vowing to wait until 30 to marry. Junior year saw her engaged and she became officially somebody's wife before she graduated. Same story about older sister's reaction: "agh, this stinks!" :biggrin:

Kathy G. Hansen
Broker/Owner
COLORADO HIGHLIGHTS REALTY
303-761-4046

12 Oct 2013 16:37 #4 by otisptoadwater
I like Greeley, small town America at it's finest! Not too far from the agriculture to forget that the things we eat don't just magically appear wrapped in plastic on store shelves.

My Nephew is majoring in Business with a minor in Information Systems, he is enjoying his education and is active in student Government. He's getting good grades and hasn't been caught doing anything nefarious (so far) so I assume he's putting his personal time to good use. I knew that UNC has an excellent agriculture program but I was surprised to learn that UNC also has an excellent business program.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Time to create page: 0.133 seconds