Asprin, cure or killer

01 Jan 2014 18:48 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-dangers-asp ... 38976.html

"..."But aspirin has a dark side. If Aspirin had been developed in 2009, it would unlikely pass FDA guidelines. In a November 17, 2005 article in Medical Progress Today, Derek Lowe talks about why aspirin doesn't meet the cut. He calls aspirin"the best example" of a drug that we've taken for years, but doesn't meet today's standards. Lowe says aspirin "more or less doubles" the risk of gastrointestinal bleeding, an event serious enough to put most sufferers in the hospital. The evidence in test animals is obvious. Lowe says, "Aspirin causes gastric lesions in rats and dogs, which are the standard small and large animal models for drug toxicity."
Source

An even darker side effect of aspirin may be Reye's syndrome. Children given aspirin for fevers and viral infections (chickenpox or influenza) have a higher chance of developing Reye's syndrome. Reye's is a rare but deadly illness that causes the brain and liver to swell. The number of children developing Reye's peaked around 1980, about the time doctors stopped prescribing aspirin to children for illnesses and fever.

Asthma sufferers have a higher chance of aspirin sensitivity than normal. Aspirin can cause"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Jan 2014 19:33 #2 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic Asprin, cure or killer
While at CSU a friend in the dorm, first year, took 6 full strength asprin and wondered why he later threw up blood. I think he fully recovered, but it was a memorable lesson. I avoid all drugs, even over the counter unless the benefit outweighs the risk.

The silent majority will be silent no more.

02 Jan 2014 08:42 #3 by LOL
Replied by LOL on topic Asprin, cure or killer
I cut back on aspirin many years ago, only one Advil pill for me, and only for serious headaches. Hangover headaches don't qualify, they are self-inflicted punishment. :)

If you want to be, press one. If you want not to be, press 2

Republicans are red, democrats are blue, neither of them, gives a flip about you.

02 Jan 2014 08:45 #4 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Asprin, cure or killer
I can only take aspirin at sea level. Up here it causes nose bleeds. I have also had my family physician say that aspirin would never have been approved by the FDA if it had been invented in the last decade.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds