stay strong after 50

12 Feb 2014 18:44 #1 by Blazer Bob
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/02/ ... 9120140210

"Tweaking an exercise routine to stay strong after 50
BY DORENE INTERNICOLA
NEW YORK Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:08am EST
»
(Reuters) - People turning 50 may want to consider tweaking their exercise routines because as they age stiffer joints, slower recovery from injury and the loss of lean body mass are among the perils facing the youngest baby boomers, fitness experts say.

Studies have shown that even a 90-year-old can build muscle, so the half-century mark is a good time to retire joint-stressing high jumps and to start lifting dumbbells to build strength."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

12 Feb 2014 18:55 #2 by HEARTLESS
Replied by HEARTLESS on topic stay strong after 50
Had to do a double take. Thought it was about tweaking as an exercise routine. Gotta read more carefully. :smackshead:

The silent majority will be silent no more.

13 Feb 2014 08:47 #3 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic stay strong after 50
Grampa and I have started working out at a gym 3 days a week and doing other exercise at home the other 4. Nothing strenuous, lots of stretching, using weights, etc. Started out easy to avoid hurting anything. It's beginning to be something we look forward to.

13 Feb 2014 09:39 #4 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic stay strong after 50

Mtn Gramma wrote: Grampa and I have started working out at a gym 3 days a week and doing other exercise at home the other 4. Nothing strenuous, lots of stretching, using weights, etc. Started out easy to avoid hurting anything. It's beginning to be something we look forward to.

I think of doing something about 4 days a week. The next step is to actually do something. Right now my only exercise is firewood.

14 Feb 2014 08:42 #5 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic stay strong after 50
Well, "thinking about it" might exercise your brain . . . . lol

14 Feb 2014 09:33 #6 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic stay strong after 50
Because my friend is a Hospice nurse and she relates to me the "end of life" in REAL terms.....I
decided it was TIME.....time to exercise and TRY to maintain my rusty bones the best that I
can....hired a trainer (with all kinds of credentials) to put me on the right track (THAT was
temporary,but I still connect with her once or twice a month for updated monthly exercise
programs).....this is a HUGE paradigm shift for me, because I have always maintained "I am NOT
a gym rat" mentality....would rather be outdoors....but in the winter it's kinda hard....skiing
has become pretty expensive and my DH has opted out because of ankle problems.....doing
rockscaping and lifting large stones, gardening in summer is a work out....WINTER is a whole
different story.....hard NOT to lite the fire, start a good book and veg out..... :NoNo: :NoNo:

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds