Life After Gluten

23 Feb 2014 15:18 #1 by Blazer Bob
Life After Gluten was created by Blazer Bob
http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/20 ... althy-diet

"Although relatively few Americans need to avoid gluten, a large and growing number of consumers are embracing the idea. In fact, the diet has become a big business: there is even a gluten-free Girl Scout cookie.

This is definitely a welcome change for the consumers who have celiac disease. But for others, is the regimen a risky fad or a healthy way to eat?

READ THE DISCUSSION »"...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Feb 2014 09:03 #2 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Life After Gluten
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Yes, there are people who have true gluten intolerances, and others who have varying degrees of intolerance so that they may be able to eat gluten-containing foods and only have a little to moderate discomfort. However, I think there are many who cut gluten out without getting tested, or just do it because it's the new "thing to do". I had a holistic doctor once tell me that I had an intolerance to gluten and I don't believe him - my body does not react differently when I eat foods with gluten vs when I don't.

I don't know if any studies have been done, as I suspect that it's not just gluten that's a problem, but the way we process grains, and many other things that we eat that don't sit well with our digestive systems. Enriched grains, bleached flour, artificial preservatives and additives, high fructose corn syrup - we put a lot of crap in our bodies and not enough raw vegetable and fruits, nuts, probiotic dairy, etc.

The old adage "garbage in, garbage out" is absolutely true. Your body can't pull needed nutrients out of the material you give it if that material is deficient.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Feb 2014 09:14 #3 by Blazer Bob
Replied by Blazer Bob on topic Life After Gluten

25 May 2014 11:50 #4 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Life After Gluten
As a reminder, even the results of this one study, though by the same author and refuting a previous study he conducted, must be taken with a grain of salt. Diets and lifestyles should not be changed based on one study, and the hype of gluten-free diets has certainly been way over-blown.

Unless You Have Celiac Disease, Gluten Sensitivity is Probably Just in Your Head
Posted by Tim De Chant on Fri, 23 May 2014

That finding comes from a new study led by Peter Gibson, a professor of gastroenterology at Monash University in Australia. Gibson is the same researcher who published a paper in 2011 that reported gluten sensitivity in non-celiac patients. The results of that paper didn’t sit well with him, so he designed a more rigorous study involving 37 patients who didn’t have celiac disease but reported feeling better when on a gluten-free diet.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Aug 2014 06:52 #5 by Blazer Bob

ScienceChic wrote: I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Yes, there are people who have true gluten intolerances, and others who have varying degrees of intolerance so that they may be able to eat gluten-containing foods and only have a little to moderate discomfort. However, I think there are many who cut gluten out without getting tested, or just do it because it's the new "thing to do". I had a holistic doctor once tell me that I had an intolerance to gluten and I don't believe him - my body does not react differently when I eat foods with gluten vs when I don't.

I don't know if any studies have been done, as I suspect that it's not just gluten that's a problem, but the way we process grains, and many other things that we eat that don't sit well with our digestive systems. Enriched grains, bleached flour, artificial preservatives and additives, high fructose corn syrup - we put a lot of crap in our bodies and not enough raw vegetable and fruits, nuts, probiotic dairy, etc.

The old adage "garbage in, garbage out" is absolutely true. Your body can't pull needed nutrients out of the material you give it if that material is deficient.

www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/whe...luten_b_1274872.html

I did not have time to read all the comments but what I did read is a good cross section of your post.

01 Aug 2014 07:00 #6 by Blazer Bob
This one I just find funny although it is possible the writer is serious. Dog food anyone?

"for anyone interested you can replace rice and pasta with red quinoa:
www.red-quinoa.com/

it is available in Kroger Supermarkets, I cook it in Green Peppers with sauce and organic hamburger meat and it absorbs the flavor of the dish it is made with, it tastes really good, my dogs even eat it."

01 Aug 2014 07:06 #7 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Life After Gluten

ScienceChic wrote: I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Yes, there are people who have true gluten intolerances, and others who have varying degrees of intolerance so that they may be able to eat gluten-containing foods and only have a little to moderate discomfort. However, I think there are many who cut gluten out without getting tested, or just do it because it's the new "thing to do". I had a holistic doctor once tell me that I had an intolerance to gluten and I don't believe him - my body does not react differently when I eat foods with gluten vs when I don't.

[/b]

The bolded is WHY health problems in the United States FAR EXCEED any NON-third world country....it is
ALSO the reason we have been "bequeathed" the Affordable Care Act....the health care delivery system in the America REFLECTS the choices we have made for our bodies....JMO

01 Aug 2014 09:01 #8 by FredHayek
Replied by FredHayek on topic Life After Gluten
People with actual celiac disease are sure loving all the non-gluten choices out there right now. They will probably start to lose shelf space once the fad dies down.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

09 Dec 2014 10:00 #9 by Blazer Bob
"Gluten-free foods are NOT an argument against grain-free: a rebuttal to Consumer Reports

By Dr. Davis | December 8, 2014 5 Comments"...

www.wheatbellyblog.com/2014/12/gluten-fr...argument-grain-free/

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds