Sperm problems in older men

01 Mar 2014 11:31 #1 by Blazer Bob
I toyed with some other headers but couldn't come up with one that was better. (Suggestions welcome)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 165303.htm

..."The working hypothesis for D'Onofrio and his colleagues who study this phenomenon is that unlike women, who are born with all their eggs, men continue to produce new sperm throughout their lives. Each time sperm replicate, there is a chance for a mutation in the DNA to occur. As men age, they are also exposed to numerous environmental toxins, which have been shown to cause mutations in the DNA found in sperm. Molecular genetic studies have, in fact, shown that sperm of older men have more genetic mutations.
This study and others like it, however, perhaps signal some of the unforeseen, negative consequences of a relatively new trend in human history. As such, D'Onofrio said, it may have important social and public policy implications. Given the increased risk associated with advancing paternal age at childbearing, policy-makers may want to make it possible for men and women to accommodate children earlier in their lives without having to set aside other goals."...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

01 Mar 2014 18:14 #2 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Sperm problems in older men
So, this is where liberals come from. They are the progeny of old men.

01 Mar 2014 19:58 #3 by ScienceChic
:rofllol Sorry, my Dad was 21 when I was born, and both my parents remain staunch Republicans. Thanks to great genes, great parents, and a strong family environment, I turned out well - i.e. a tree-hugging, gay-supporting, feminist, fiscally conservative flaming liberal scientist-turned-business-owner. :biggrin:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

01 Mar 2014 20:22 #4 by FredHayek
Could be a bad turn for America since so many are having children later than ever.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

01 Mar 2014 20:25 #5 by otisptoadwater
There's a Texas Aggie joke fermenting in this story but this isn't the Ring so I won't go there...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

01 Mar 2014 22:24 #6 by Blazer Bob

otisptoadwater wrote: There's a Texas Aggie joke fermenting in this story but this isn't the Ring so I won't go there...

Perhaps a ring version is in order. I tried really hard to to come up with something that would milk more humor out of the title but I shot my wad without getting past sophomoric.

01 Mar 2014 22:30 #7 by otisptoadwater
I guess you could have splashed around the subject, probably would have gotten sticky anyways...

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

02 Mar 2014 08:14 #8 by Arlen
Replied by Arlen on topic Sperm problems in older men

ScienceChic wrote: :rofllol Sorry, my Dad was 21 when I was born, and both my parents remain staunch Republicans. Thanks to great genes, great parents, and a strong family environment, I turned out well - i.e. a tree-hugging, gay-supporting, feminist, fiscally conservative flaming liberal scientist-turned-business-owner. :biggrin:

You might need to have some DNA comparison done.

02 Mar 2014 08:22 #9 by homeagain
And, so it seems that males have a "shelf life" also......AGING is a bitch, no matter what gender
you are assigned.....male menopause is just as REAL as female menopause...WELCOME to our
world gentlemen!

02 Mar 2014 10:10 #10 by ScienceChic

Arlen wrote:

ScienceChic wrote: :rofllol Sorry, my Dad was 21 when I was born, and both my parents remain staunch Republicans. Thanks to great genes, great parents, and a strong family environment, I turned out well - i.e. a tree-hugging, gay-supporting, feminist, fiscally conservative flaming liberal scientist-turned-business-owner. :biggrin:

You might need to have some DNA comparison done.

:LMAO: That's funny right there! :ThumbsUp: And you're right - I need to make sure I wasn't switched at birth, maybe I really belong to Tim Cooks' or Bill Gates' family. :tongue:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds