Stop exercising

03 Jun 2014 10:21 #1 by Blazer Bob
Stop exercising was created by Blazer Bob
Abstract
Do consumers eat more when they exercise more? If so, the implications could ripple through the multi-billion dollar fitness and food industries and have implications for both consumers and health-care providers. Three studies—two field experiments and one observational field study—triangulate on this potential compensatory mechanism between physical activity and food intake. The findings showed that when physical activity was perceived as fun (e.g., when it is labeled as a scenic walk rather than an exercise walk), people subsequently consume less dessert at mealtime and consume fewer hedonic snacks. A final observational field study during a competitive race showed that the more fun people rated the race as being, the less likely they were to compensate with a hedonic snack afterwards. Engaging in a physical activity seems to trigger the search for reward when individuals perceive it as exercise but not when they perceive it as fun. Key implications for the fitness industry and for health-care professionals are detailed along with the simple advice to consumers to make certain they make their physical activity routine fun in order to avoid compensation.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.100 ... 014-9301-6

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

03 Jun 2014 10:43 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Stop exercising
Great idea, I want another excuse to be on the couch, sorry but this article is a bunch of nonsense. Think, please.
on second thought , keep denying information, we will advance faster.

03 Jun 2014 10:56 #3 by Nobody that matters
Replied by Nobody that matters on topic Stop exercising
I think I'll go for a walk and then reward myself with a twinkie. I'll have earned it then.

"Whatever you are, be a good one." ~ Abraham Lincoln

03 Jun 2014 13:41 #4 by homeagain
Replied by homeagain on topic Stop exercising
Gee, I think the whole issue of exercise,diet,weight loss, can be summed up pretty simply.....
Eat LESS, move MORE........if those four words are implemented....you lose weight (or at least
stay the same)....JMO

03 Jun 2014 18:29 #5 by Nobody that matters
That's my doctors orders. Eat less, move more.

Pretty simple.

I still haven't gotten the hang of it though.

03 Jun 2014 18:46 #6 by ScienceChic
Replied by ScienceChic on topic Stop exercising
Hmm, you're gonna be letting some people down in the dudes in uniform thread if that's how you are. Do you need someone to cattle prod you?! :wink:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

03 Jun 2014 18:51 #7 by Nobody that matters

ScienceChic wrote: Hmm, you're gonna be letting some people down in the dudes in uniform thread if that's how you are. Do you need someone to cattle prod you?! :wink:

I have a fitbit, a home gym, a wife that liked it when I was in shape for competition swimming, and a personal trainer friend that has taken me on as a charity case and a challenge.

I don't have a prayer of touching a twinkie without SERIOUS repercussions.

03 Jun 2014 20:36 #8 by Mtn Gramma
Replied by Mtn Gramma on topic Stop exercising
I'm just glad that Liks is open so I can get some sustenance after my workout at Anytime. :droolpuddle:

03 Jun 2014 20:53 #9 by otisptoadwater
Replied by otisptoadwater on topic Stop exercising
I get the same complex dietary directions from my sawbones every year after my annual physical:

Move more, eat less, and when you eat make sure it's mostly green and leafy.

Sure Doc, I'll go home and have an Iceberg lettuce wedge salad for dinner (I just use my skills of selective truth to avoid telling him about the bacon, strips of steak, and the glob of really good blue cheese dressing I'll put on top). Right after dinner me and the Wundermutt will go for a walk (from the kitchen to the deck and a comfortable chair) for at least an hour.

I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges; When the Republic is at its most corrupt the laws are most numerous. - Publius Cornelius Tacitus

03 Jun 2014 22:01 #10 by Nobody that matters
Hershey's chocolate milk is an excellent recovery drink after a workout - go ahead, look it up, I'm being serious!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds