8 Things Every Abused Woman Wishes Her Friends Knew

25 Oct 2014 10:40 #1 by ScienceChic
IT’s NATIONAL DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AWARENESS MONTH
I'm betting that we all know someone who's been in an abusive relationship, and likely have tried to help in some way or another, possibly even giving up because we couldn't understand why they would keep staying or going back to that situation. This list below struck me because there were some things I hadn't thought about. If you want to help someone who is being abused, please read through the article below. And don't give up.

8 Things Every Abused Woman Wishes Her Friends Knew

1. Just LISTEN to me please!

3. Tell me that you think I might be in DANGER (I need to hear this from someone else).

4. Please make sure that I have the domestic violence hotline number MEMORIZED. It may not be safe for me to have this number written down or in my phone. 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) is the National Domestic Violence Hotline.

5. Call me OFTEN and ASK how you can help me. Please check with me before you send an email asking about my situation. My emails may be censored by my partner. If you call me please ask if it is an okay time to talk. My partner may be listening in on the conversation.

6. Please don’t tell me what to do. I don’t need someone else controlling all of my decisions.

National Coalition Against Domestic Violence - Get Away/Safety Plan
www.ncadv.org/protectyourself/SafetyPlan.php

Locally, call Peaceworks, Inc - they can help.
24-hour crisis hotline: 303-838-8181
Help for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking and other relationship crimes in Park County and mountain Jefferson County, CO

a time when it’s okay to raise your voice…Domestic Violence Awareness

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

27 Oct 2014 16:00 #2 by ComputerBreath
:like:
Here's another: Please don't, when I am telling you I am abused, that I don't "look" abused or "sound" abused or "look like the type to be abused" or that being called names isn't abuse.

Think of it this way: Not a single abused individual said "I think I want to get into an abusive situation/relationship today..."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds