COVID-19 Corona Virus - How You Can Prepare

11 Mar 2020 05:31 #21 by MountainTownAlerts
For Immediate Release

Jeffco Public Schools
Posted on 03/10/2020

COVID-19 Letter: Travel Restrictions Announced

This announcement provides notice to all Jeffco Public Schools neighborhood, option, and alternative schools that the following travel restrictions will be put into effect immediately.

Earlier today, Governor Jared Polis declared a "State of Emergency'' for Colorado. In response to this action, the district is cancelling all school- and district-sponsored international and out-of-state travel until further notice. This includes student trips and staff business travel. This was not an easy decision, but one that was made in the best interest of protecting the health and well-being of students and staff members.

We understand this may be upsetting and disappointing news to students, staff, and families. However, out of an abundance of caution and safety for our students and community and in an effort to contain the spread of the virus, travel outside of Colorado is cancelled.

We also understand that numerous students and staff may have booked private trips through other providers. While the district has no authority to cancel these trips, it is strongly suggested that the organizers of these trips follow the district's direction on this matter.

Charter schools may make their own determinations on trip cancellations. Most are following this guidance and charter school parents should check with their school for direction.

These travel restrictions are to remain in effect until lifted by superintendent directive.

Going forward, we will continue to update the district's coronavirus information page as new information becomes available from public health resources, including the CDC. We are also planning another update to the community to share information about our plans for remote learning should we need to implement that, and other topics, later this week.

Thank you for your continued partnership and support as we all work through this evolving situation.

www.jeffcopublicschools.org/services/hea...strictions_announced

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

11 Mar 2020 06:46 #22 by homeagain
www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/articl...(20)30566-3/fulltext

EXTENSIVE informational charts,from Wuhan outbreak....stats,factors of progression,fatalities and under lying causes, WHAT WE HAVE LEARNED from the severe outbreak in China.

11 Mar 2020 07:33 #23 by ScienceChic
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

COVID-19 MEDIA LINE: 303-900-2849 (Please leave a message)
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

CDPHE to open first drive-up testing center at State Lab in Lowry

DENVER, March 10, 2020: The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment will open the state’s first community testing center for COVID-19 at the state lab tomorrow at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, March 11.

This will be a drive-up testing center at 8100 E. Lowry Blvd, Denver, CO 80230 for patients meeting the requirements listed below. This week, the center will be open 10 a.m. - 2 p.m Wednesday - Friday. CDPHE will post next week’s schedule on our website when it’s available.

In order to be tested at the state’s community testing center, individuals must have an order from their doctor confirming they meet the testing criteria and need to be tested, and photo identification that matches the name on the doctor’s order.

Depending on test volume, individuals will be contacted directly with their results within 72 hours. While waiting for their test results, individuals should stay at home. Those who receive positive test results may be issued isolation orders.

People who come to be tested should know and do the following:
  • Bring a written or electronic copy of the doctor’s order. Individuals should not go to their doctor’s office but should call to get an emailed or faxed copy of the order.
  • If there are multiple people in one vehicle, each person to be tested must have their own doctor’s order.
  • Bring a form of photo ID (driver’s license, school ID, work badge, etc.) that matches the name on the doctor’s order.
  • Individuals will drive through a secured area and will remain in their vehicles throughout the entire testing process.
  • Even though we highly discourage it, members of the media may be present. State health department staff are working with the media to protect patient privacy.
  • Be prepared for long wait times. No restrooms will be available.
  • Bring water and other items to be comfortable while waiting.
  • Testing is free. Proof of insurance is not required.
  • Telephonic interpretation will be available for speakers of other languages.
This testing center will help the state test as many people as possible and improve the public health response by identifying and isolating those who are ill. This approach also helps to protect older adults and people with compromised immune systems.

The lab’s capacity for testing has increased. Right now, the lab has enough test availability for several days and will continue to receive additional tests from the CDC.

To respect and protect patient privacy, we ask that members of the media do not go to the area while testing is occurring between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. It could discourage patients from getting tested. In order to be accommodating, CDPHE suggests that media who are planning to film exteriors of the lab should do so only when testing is not going on.

Again, to protect patient privacy, we kindly ask that members of the media do not go to the facility while testing is occurring.

####

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

11 Mar 2020 07:53 #24 by FredHayek
This is really starting to look like a zombie movie. New Rochelle being cordoned off. Be careful out there.

Thomas Sowell: There are no solutions, just trade-offs.

11 Mar 2020 14:14 #25 by homeagain

FredHayek wrote: This is really starting to look like a zombie movie. New Rochelle being cordoned off. Be careful out there.

[/b]

ITS OFFICIAL...A PANDEMIC

11 Mar 2020 14:33 #26 by ScienceChic
The new coronavirus can live in the air for several hours and on some surfaces for as long as two to three days, tests by U.S. government and other scientists have found.

apnews.com/fe0239e95b8ad1037639ed833b990e48

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

12 Mar 2020 10:32 #27 by homeagain
chicago.suntimes.com/coronavirus/2020/3/...tional-nurses-united

NATIONAL NURSES UNITED statement.....they are on the front line and THIS is what they are
encountering.......redo of what happen during the last severe outbreak....overwhelmed and
under prepared.

SIDENOTE...I have a 21 y.o. nursing student who is ''shadowing" at St. Mary's in Grand Jct....
she comes twice amonth to clean my house. I asked her last Friday what she had been told
or taught about the corona virus. (I asked her if she see patients daily...yes); She kinda of
shrugged and stated "they told us to wash our hands often.".....I asked if there was ANY
other seminar/conference/Q &A that they offered....NO.....I asked if they had been shown any
special protective gear or IF she had access to some...NO...I asked if her protective gear
was the usual mask and gown......YES. She was UNINFORMED and UNDER PROTECTED
SO THIS ISN'T FAKE NEWS.

12 Mar 2020 20:15 #28 by MountainTownAlerts
Jeffco Public Schools @JeffcoSchoolsCo 4m
Beginning Mon, 3/16 our school buildings will be closed for in-person classes. The whole week, through 3/20, all JPS facilities will be closed to non-employees; we will transition to Remote Learning & Work Plan; students will learn from home 3/16 - 20. See email/website for more.

SCHOOLS CLOSED MONDAY MARCH 13 - MARCH 27
Starting Monday, March 16, Jeffco Public Schools will join several other Colorado school districts in closing all school facilities for in-person classes next week, 3/16 through 3/20. All Jeffco Public Schools facilities will be closed to all non-employees during this time.

On Monday, March 16 only, we will allow families to drop in to quickly pick up any items they may have left at the school such as supplies, medication, and technology during normal school hours. We encourage families to collect these items tomorrow, March 13.

During next week, Jeffco Public Schools will transition to a Remote Learning and Work Plan. Students will work with their teachers to continue instruction from home during this period. A detailed message will be sent to families tomorrow morning outlining the remote learning plan and expectations.

Teachers and staff may enter schools and district buildings to work independently and retrieve equipment or they may work from home. All employees can expect to receive direction on work expectations tomorrow.

This school facility closure and transition to the Remote Learning and Work Plan (from 3/16 through 3/20) will precede the district’s regularly scheduled spring break (from 3/23 to 3/27).

During the week of spring break, district leadership (in cooperation with public health officials), will reassess the situation and decide when students and staff should return to school and district buildings. Communication to staff and families regarding a return date will be sent at that time.

We know that closing our schools will have a significant impact on our families and we will continue to work with our community partners to identify support services and resources.

We are facing an unprecedented public health crisis in our community. In light of Governor Polis’ declaration of a state of emergency in Colorado and the growing number of confirmed cases in the Denver metro area, we are taking this action to protect public health.

We will send follow-up communications with additional information about remote learning, support resources, food service, and other updates. Please continue to check our district website for information about COVID-19.

Effective immediately, with the announcement today from Colorado High School Activities Association (CHSAA), we are cancelling evening events and extracurricular activities effective at the end of day tomorrow, March 13, 2020. This directly impacts organizations who have reserved our facilities for their activities; those groups will be notified. Contact your school if you have a question about an upcoming activity or event.

Our goal is always to protect the safety, health and wellness of our students, staff, and families. Amid the uncertainty and fear that this pandemic brings, our strength as a community is our greatest asset. We can work together to protect each other and slow the progression of COVID-19.

We will continue to remain in contact with public health officials, elected leaders, and fellow school districts and keep you updated with new information as it becomes available. We thank you for your support and partnership in this effort.

Attachments:

12 Mar 2020 21:52 - 12 Mar 2020 22:06 #29 by ScienceChic

Governor Polis @GovofCO
As many people start to get sick with the flu and COVID-19 spreads, here's a look comparing the symptoms between COVID-19 (coronavirus) and the flu.

COVID-19: As of tonight, we have 49 presumptive positive cases of COVID-19 in Colorado, which includes one indeterminate case that public health is treating as a presumptive positive. More than 400 people have been tested so far.

Track the latest: bit.ly/CoronavirusCO

Evergreen FireRescue @efr_co 4m
Effective immediately: EFR Admin & other Fire District buildings are closed to the public. This is a proactive attempt to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community & limit exposure to our first responders. Know we are here 24/7 for any & all emergencies; just dial 911.

In a proactive attempt to prevent the spread of COVID-19 (Coronavirus), the Evergreen Fire/Rescue (EFR) Administration building and other Fire Protection District fire facilities will be closed to the public effective March 12, 2020 at 1:00PM. This decision is made out of an abundance of caution to protect our community and take into account exposure to our first responders.

The areas primarily affected by this closure are:
• Public meetings held in our Administration building
• Fire Station Tours, Truck Rides and Fire Department visits
• Scheduled Public CPR classes
• Public Walk-Ins for things such as permits and general inquiries regarding fire information.

Internally scheduled business will continue as normal and staff will be available to address your Fire and Emergency needs. If you have general business inquiries that need to be addressed by our administration staff, please contact the Administration office at (303) 674-3145 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We are asking that you refrain from unnecessarily visiting EFR facilities. We guarantee your needs or issues will still be addressed in a timely manner. For emergencies, please dial 911.

Personnel are actively engaged with public health officials and planning ahead for any potential implications. We will continue to monitoring the situation closely and take the steps necessary to protect our community and our first responders from the risk of exposure. Please visit www.evergreenfirerescue.com for further updates.

Additional Resources
• CDC guidance, situation updates, and information about COVID-19: coronavirus.gov/

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Mike Weege - Fire Chief

I Lived Through SARS and Reported on Ebola. These Are the Questions We Should Be Asking About Coronavirus.
For concerned civilians and journalists covering the coronavirus, the figures and projections can be overwhelming, frightening or confusing. Here’s what reporter Caroline Chen is focusing on to keep things as accurate and clear as possible.
by Caroline Chen, Propublica | March 5

I grew up in Hong Kong and was 13 when SARS swept through the city, infecting about 1,750 people and killing nearly 300. As a teenager, the hardest part was being stuck at home and missing my friends. I only started to pay attention to the daily death toll after my parents decided that’s what would dictate when I could go back to school. But the experience shaped me. I picked up personal hygiene habits, like pressing elevator buttons with my knuckles. And I developed a deep respect for front-line medical workers, many of whom labored around the clock until they, too, succumbed.

In 2014, I was a rookie reporter on the Bloomberg News health desk helping to cover the growing Ebola crisis in West Africa when we got word that the U.S. had its first diagnosed patient. The experience gave me a deeper look into how governments and scientists grapple with a fast-moving, deadly target.

Every time, I’ve seen the same gaps emerge in the public’s understanding of what’s really happening. On one side, I have epidemiologists and lab directors explaining to me, in excruciating detail, nuanced models and technicalities, like how PCR assays work. On the other side, I see oversimplified headlines and misleading statistics touted by government officials.

Here’s what you need to know:

Testing Is Still Limited

Instead of asking: How many test kits do you have?
Ask this: How many samples are you running per patient?

Instead of asking: How many samples can you run?
Ask this: How many samples is your lab testing per day right now? How about at maximum capacity? How many hours does it take to get a result?

The Death Rate Is Only an Estimate

Instead of saying: The mortality rate is X%.
Say this: Scientists estimate the mortality rate is X%, based on the information they have.

Be Careful with Projections

Instead of asking: How many cases will there be at X point in time?
Ask this: What assumptions were used to calculate your prediction? What’s the upper and lower range of your projection?

Information Is Changing Quickly and May Soon Be Out of Date

Attachments:

12 Mar 2020 23:21 #30 by MountainTownAlerts
Mountain Backpack Program 7 hrs ago

Dear MBP children and families,

If your school closes down we have every intention of having food available for you. We will have pick up locations in the communities we serve. If your family struggles with transportation issues we will do our best to drop the food to you. Plans are being made to take care of you so please know that and try not to worry.

We will be asking the community to pitch in extra with financial and food donations to get us through this stressful time.

Keeping you full and focused is our priority.

Wash your hands!!

www.mountainbackpacks.org/
www.facebook.com/mountainbackpacks/
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.718 seconds