Weight Loss Question

20 Sep 2010 15:47 #1 by JackBella12
I have a "friend" (wink wink, no really!) that is considering using some sort of "diet pill" to kick start his weight loss. Is it EVER OK to do this, as long as you use it in conjunction with exercise and watching your diet as well? Do any of these "diet supplements" actually work or is it just smoke and mirrors?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

20 Sep 2010 23:29 #2 by Get Fit_Feel Great

JackBella12 wrote: I have a "friend" (wink wink, no really!) that is considering using some sort of "diet pill" to kick start his weight loss. Is it EVER OK to do this, as long as you use it in conjunction with exercise and watching your diet as well? Do any of these "diet supplements" actually work or is it just smoke and mirrors?

Hello JackBella12,
Let start out by saying, if you eat right and exercise right for your goals, there is no need for diet pills. The key is to do both of these correctly.
Also to kick start your "weight loss", hopefully you mean body fat loss, you would want to start eating right and working out immediately, do not procrastinate.
One of my past clients had a contest with her friend. She worked out with me 3 times a week and ate what I suggested to her.
Her friend went on metabolife when it had ephedra in it back in the day.
My client lost 29 pounds and 10% body fat in 2 months. Her friend lost 20 pounds. They started out about the same weight - 159 lbs.
Of course, being on metabolife, it was all about not eating. Starving your body will shed mainly muscle and little body fat.
My client couldn't believe how good she was looking, because she had lost 9 dress sizes. Her friend said that she had to go to the gym now to get rid of the sagging body fat. She lost 20 lbs in one month and couldn't lose anymore. Plateau symptom.

To take supplements of any kind, I would need to know his health history, current habits, discipline, workout intensity, and nutrition habits.
These diet supplements may help, and their claims are for the most successful individuals.
Just read the fine print on any infomercial you see on TV for weight loss or exercise programs.
If your friend is still wondering, I do offer Consultations to determine what would be effective for him in terms of nutrition, exercise and possible supplements.
Just call me for appointment.

Thanks for asking.
To you and your friend's health and fitness,
Sam Moy, ISSA CPT

21 Sep 2010 19:35 #3 by Ice
Replied by Ice on topic Weight Loss Question
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that when you starve yourself you lose mainly muscle and not fat. Why is this? You would think your body would eat the fat first.

21 Sep 2010 23:56 #4 by Get Fit_Feel Great

Ice wrote: Thanks for the info, I didn't know that when you starve yourself you lose mainly muscle and not fat. Why is this? You would think your body would eat the fat first.

Hello Ice,
Good question.
First, let's look at what muscle and fat consist of. Muscle is protein. Fat is fat.
If protein is not eaten in high enough quantities and quality, then muscles starve and you literally cannibilize your muscle for energy, therefore losing muscle fast. That's the theory behind low protein "diets", or any low calorie "diet". Muscle weighs more, so if you lose muscle fast, you lose more weight.
Your body uses protein, carbohydrates and fat for energy.
Fat is also being used, but look at the energy required to lose fat.
1 Gram of protein = 4 calories. 1 Gram of fat = 9 calories.
It takes more than twice the heat energy to burn fat, therefore you will lose more muscle than fat.
Typically when one "diets" and eats less, the body after a period of time, goes into starvation mode. This is when the body starts to store as much as possible in the form of fat. You lose weight quick (mostly muscle) and metabolism drops due to lack of proper food and muscle.
Your body is very efficient, so it will adjust metabolism to correlate with the amount of food and activity and one will plateau.
So one will lose some weight fast, slow to a halt and possibly gain it back as fat as soon as one goes back to their normal feeding patterns.

Does this answer your question?
Thanks for asking.
To you health and fitness,
Sam Moy, ISSA CPT

22 Sep 2010 15:56 #5 by Ice
Replied by Ice on topic Weight Loss Question
Yes! Great explanation, thanks!

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds