Even a Thin Person Can Get Diabetes

27 Oct 2010 19:03 #1 by ScienceChic
I was cleaning out my email inbox recently and ran across this article. When I originally read it, it really hit home for me as diabetes runs in my Dad's family, but I fit none of the other known risk factors for diabetes, just like the guy in the article. Had I not gotten gestational diabetes while pregnant with my 2nd child, I would never have thought that I'd be at risk for getting diabetes, wouldn't have started testing myself periodically, wouldn't have improved my unrefined carb diet or my exercise habits, and never started going in for every other year check-ups. This article really hammered it home for me. If this disease runs in your family, I highly recommend having your doctor test your hemoglobin A1C (aka HbA1c test) on at least a somewhat regular basis, and talking with a nutritionist about your eating habits. It can't hurt!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24716880/
Even a thin person can get diabetes
It's the sugar-coated secret of America's fastest-growing disease
By Jeff O'Connell
Mens Health
updated 5/29/2008 8:36:08 AM ET

Especially in light of this:
http://apnews.excite.com/article/201010 ... U77G1.html
Number of diabetic Americans could triple by 2050
Oct 22, 3:18 PM (ET)
By MIKE STOBBE

As many as 1 in 3 U.S. adults could have diabetes by the year 2050, federal officials announced Friday, in a dramatic revision of earlier projections. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that 1 in 10 have diabetes now, but the number could grow to 1 in 5 or even 1 in 3 by mid-century if current trends continue.

The new CDC calculation accounts for people who have diabetes but are undiagnosed - a group that wasn't figured into earlier estimates, explained Edward W. Gregg, chief of the CDC branch that handles diabetes epidemiology and statistics.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds