Are You Getting Enough Vitamin D3?

05 Jun 2010 09:00 #1 by Moab
Are you getting enough Vitamin D3? Probably not. This is a good article on the benefits of Vitamin D3 and deficiency issues. If your doctor is not testing you for this ask for it! If you need more take it! Vitamin D3 is very inexpensive.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 85311.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

05 Jun 2010 13:19 #2 by JMC
My doc recommended I take 2000 ius per day. and I am out a lot in the sun

07 Jun 2010 09:10 #3 by TPP
Yes.

09 Jun 2010 01:11 #4 by ScienceChic
The blog that I linked to in the Nutrition, Food Allergies, and Intolerances thread has a post on Vitamin D on 6/3/10 that's very enlightening.

People without adequate vitamin D levels have about a 3-fold increased risk of getting these cancers! (melanoma, breast, colon, prostrate)
It seems that a good serum level of vitamin D is about 50 ng/ml or higher. Some lab tests will say that <20 is deficient, between 20 and 30 is insufficient, and above 30 is okay. One probably doesn't want to go above 100, though toxicity has only been reported at serum levels higher than 200. You can't get too much vitamin D from the sun - our skin actually destroys excess vitamin D made there after you have enough for the day. A cool regulatory mechanism if ever I heard one.

Home test kits so you can check for yourself: http://www.zrtlab.com/vitamindcouncil/
or ask your doctor. The key level you need to know is 25-OH vitamin D3, not total vitamin D.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

24 Jul 2010 07:37 #5 by DrTerry
Intake of D3 is not the only game. Absorption and assimilation play a big part.
I have seen two people take the same amount of D3 over 2-3 months and one persons D levels barely crawl up 5 units(ng/ml) while the other's double. It also had to do with the type of D3 being consumed.

In addition, I have seen people who are in the sun a lot and have levels in the 20's.

50 ng/ml is a good level to shoot for unless you have an autoimmune disease.

Dr. Terry

24 Jul 2010 18:08 #6 by CC
Good info Dr. Terry. Thanks

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds