Not for the weak.

25 Jan 2011 22:54 #1 by Get Fit_Feel Great
OK, so you have been working out and getting nowhere.
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the most effort, how much effort are you actually putting into every rep, every movement, every workout?
If your'e the kind of person just making sure you can complete your sets or your workout, no wonder why you're falling short of your goals.

In order to facilitate a change in your body, you must give it a reason to change.
Sure, you noticed something at first. But it didn't get any better.

I have watched and worked with many people putting in a 6 or 7 effort, or saving themselves to get through the set or time frame. Some of you even think that 10 or 20 minutes a day is enough.

Think about this. If all the athletes and pro teams did this, where would they be?

So work hard and eat well and you will realize gains and race toward obtaining your goals. Keep putting in the seven and well...

To your health and fitness,
Sam Moy, ISSA CPT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 Jan 2011 08:13 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Not for the weak.
The longer you wait the more behind you are. Good info and advice.

13 Apr 2011 14:38 #3 by rocky mtn thyroid center
You know, Sam I noticed the same thing. I would blow through my pushup situp routine and get little results. Now, each one is carefully monitored with breathing and a desire to do perfectly. Much better.!

Terry

17 Apr 2011 00:51 #4 by Get Fit_Feel Great

rocky mtn thyroid center wrote: You know, Sam I noticed the same thing. I would blow through my pushup situp routine and get little results. Now, each one is carefully monitored with breathing and a desire to do perfectly. Much better.!

Terry

Hi Terry,
Glad to hear your routine is better. Use this concept on all your routines and positve results will always follow. Don't forget to complement all your hard work with good nutrition, especially on the protein side.

Sam Moy, ISSA CPT

17 Apr 2011 08:26 #5 by nothing wrong with me
Replied by nothing wrong with me on topic Not for the weak.
Your bringing up protein made me curious.
Could you elaborate on percentages?

17 Apr 2011 19:35 #6 by Get Fit_Feel Great

nothing wrong with me wrote: Your bringing up protein made me curious.
Could you elaborate on percentages?

The amount of protein one should have everyday depends on what one is doing. If you are sedentary or have some medical issues with protein intake, then these calculations are really not for you.

[center:30b4ug9g]Let's take for example a 150 pound person.

Endurance – 105 to 135 grams protein
Dieting – 52.5 to 150 grams
Trauma Recovery – 135 to 210[/center:30b4ug9g]

[center:30b4ug9g]Lifestyle/Training Goal Daily Protein Needs

Bodybuilding 1.0 - 1.6g/lb bodyweight

Endurance 0.7 - 0.9g/lb bodyweight

Power & Speed 0.9 - 1.1g/lb bodyweight

Trauma Recovery 0.9 - 1.4g/lb bodyweight

Dieting 0.35 - 1.0g/lb bodyweight

Stressed 0.45 - 0.7g/lb bodyweight[/center:30b4ug9g]
This seems like a wide range, but each individual must be truthful about their actual activity level, not basing it on wishful thinking.
The above chart is based on decades of scientific research and "in the trenches" training by people that actually do it.
Once your protein level is determined, then you would want to spread this number into 6 meals, if possible.
What you would like to do is eat about every 3 hours while you are awake.
On non-workout days, you can keep it even. Such as 120 grams of protein would be 20 grams per meal.
If you are working out, then you would want to use the higher end of the range you would be in. Let's say that would be 180 grams.
Then you may eat 35 grams before and after your workout, of course, this would be a hard workout, and split the 110 grams over the rest of the 4 meals. If your workout is not so hard, you may want to eat a total of about 150 grams, with about 25 grams before and after.
If you eat too much protein, this will just beome extra calories.
You will not be able to eat 50 grams and think it will carry through for 5 or 6 hours. You'll just add body fat onto you. Your goal is to eat for the acitivities in the next 3 hours and you should be ready to eat again, but never famished.
These values for the examples are just a guideline. Like I said earlier, you really want to be truthful to yourself on what you are doing. Many people "believe" they are working hard, but really aren't.
This is the biggest reason for having a training partner or to have a really good Fitness Trainer to work with.

I hope this helps to answer your question. It may seem somewhat vague due to the ranges that are given, but it is so because each individual is different and activity intensities are different due to each person's tolerances to physical exertion.
So, in order to be more accurate, some trial and error is needed or visit a professional trainer for advice.

Sam Moy, ISSA CPT

02 May 2011 12:57 #7 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Not for the weak.
Great info, I need to figure it out though.

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds