More bad news about soft drinks

17 Feb 2011 09:43 #1 by ScienceChic
http://www.grist.org/article/2011-02-16 ... a-kill-you
Aspartame is not the only thing in diet cola that can kill you
by Tom Philpott
16 Feb 2011
Modern-day commercial colas (both diet and regular) get their characteristic dark hue from something manufacturers call "caramel color." On Wednesday, the Center for Science in the Public Interest formally petitioned cspinet.org/new/pdf/caramel-coloring-petition.pdf the FDA to ban the chemicals that fall under that ambiguous label, on the grounds that they've been shown to be carcinogenic. When you think of "caramel," you probably imagine cooking sugar until it turns brown. But that's not quite what soda manufacturers do to blacken carbonated water for cola. According to CSPI, here's what they do:
Caramel Color IV (synonyms: ammonia sulfite process caramel, sulfite ammonia caramel, sulfite ammonia process caramel, acid-proof caramel, beverage caramel, and soft-drink caramel) is prepared by the controlled heat treatment of carbohydrates with ammonium-containing and sulfite-containing compounds.

So, they take carbohydrates and cook them up with ammonia-based chemicals. In addition to dark color, the process also yields a carcinogenic chemical called 4-methylimidazole, or 4-MI for short. CSPI points to studies on both rats and mice fed 4-MI showing significant carcinogenic effects. Evidence of 4-MI's cancer-causing power is so strong, CSPI points out, that just last month, the state of California added www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65/law/pdf_zip/010711_4MEInotice.pdf the substance to its list of "chemicals known to the state to cause cancer." "California has determined that [4-MI] levels above 16 micrograms per day pose a significant risk," CSPI reports. How much is in a can of cola? According to CSPI, 130 micrograms -- eight times higher than California's danger threshold.

Moreover, the container soda typically comes in is itself deeply problematic. Nearly all cans used by the U.S. beverage industry contain bisphenol A, commonly known as BPA. Here's how Scientific American describes it: "In recent years dozens of scientists around the globe have linked BPA to myriad health effects in rodents: mammary and prostate cancer, genital defects in males, early onset of puberty in females, obesity, and even behavior problems such as attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder." www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?i...bisphenol-a-plastics

The Canadian government recently declared BPA toxic. www.grist.org/article/food-canada-bans-BPA-why-havent-we A peer-reviewed study xnet.kp.org/newscenter/pressreleases/nat/2010/052710bpa.html financed by health-care giant Kaiser Permanante found that BPA is associated with "decreased sexual desire [among men], more difficulty having an erection, lower ejaculation strength and lower level of overall satisfaction with sex life."

What's the FDA doing to get it out of our cans? Not much of anything, as Tom Laskawy reported last year. www.grist.org/article/fda-on-bpa-our-hands-are-tied For an in-depth look at the agency's dithering, contradictory approach to BPA, check out its own report on the topic. www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/PublicHealthFocus/ucm197739.htm Short version: BPA is pretty scary, but it's so widely used, and used in so many forms, we haven't the foggiest idea of how to remove it from the food supply. So we won't try.

BTW, you can find some Coke and Pepsi products bottled in glass and made with regular old sugar, like it used to be, and NOT high fructose corn syrup (from Mexico - corn grower lobbyists have made it impossible to be done here in the US) at King Soopers and Costco (not sure how long Costco will carry it, but a case of 24-12oz bottles was $19.99 last time I got some). That doesn't remove the issue of the caramel color, but if you don't want to give up your soft drinks, at least this way you aren't getting the high fructose corn syrup or the BPA.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17 Feb 2011 10:17 #2 by Blazer Bob
Well, as you correctly observed on another thread, there is a 100% certainty that we will all die.

17 Feb 2011 10:51 #3 by Local_Historian
I look at it this way - I'm not rat.

I looked at those bottles yesterday - KS and walmart have them - at 98 and 99 cents a bottle.

Corn sugar, beet sugar, cane sugar - sugar is sugar. The ONLY difference is a minor one of taste, for some folks - others doesn't notice a difference.

17 Feb 2011 12:07 #4 by Grady
one word...... Beer :biggrin:

17 Feb 2011 12:22 #5 by ScienceChic
neptune, you are right, but quality of life is directly tied to good health. While a terrorist attack is not something we can personally take action on, what we eat is.

Grady - the carbs! Ahhhhh! :) Besides, wine's higher in antioxidants! :thumbsup:

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

17 Feb 2011 12:58 #6 by Grady
true, I am more of a wine drinker than beer drinker.

17 Feb 2011 13:24 #7 by The Viking
I haven't touch a soda in many years. You want some fun reading and real fear for all of you who have switched to Diet soda filled with aspartame. Read these articles. I quit sugar free gum with aspartame and my health and mental alertness went through the roof!

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption. It seems surreal, but true. How can one chemical create such chaos?

Aspartame dissolves into solution and can therefore travel throughout the body and deposit within any tissue. The body digests aspartame unlike saccharin, which does not break down within humans.

The multitude of aspartame side effects are indicative to your genetic individuality and physical weaknesses. It is important to put two and two together, nonetheless, and identify which side effects aspartame is creating within you.

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-information.html

Symptoms of Aspartame Poisoning

http://www.ehow.com/about_5246134_sympt ... oning.html

http://www.dorway.com/

Aspartame is NOT a natural substance!
Aspartame was originally BANNED by the FDA

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-aspartame-poisoning.htm

There is growing evidence that the use of aspartame can impact neurological function. Aspartame poisoning may be evidenced by changes in mood, the development of anxiety for no apparent reason, or a feeling of lethargy or fatigue that does not seem to subside with rest.

http://www.formerfatguyblog.com/2008/02 ... oning.html

Critical Symptoms of Aspartame Toxicity.....

death
irreversible brain damage
birth defects, including mental retardation
peptic ulcers
aspartame addiction and increased craving for sweets
hyperactivity in children
severe depression
aggressive behavior
suicidal tendencies

06 Apr 2011 15:13 #8 by rocky mtn thyroid center
Local historian, that is not quite true. the genetics, way the plant is sprayed, fertilized,and harvested has something to do with it's effect on human physiology. GMO corn sugar is not the same as cane sugar. A bit picky, yes. And if you are talking only about insulin receptor physiology I can agree.
Now to say that glucose is glucose ...... I'm with you there.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds