Do you ever think about packaging?

14 Sep 2011 08:17 #1 by CinnamonGirl
Do you ever think about packaging? was created by CinnamonGirl
I read this about cottage cheese and their new packaging. I do not like plastic I think it adds chemical to our food and glass is recyclable. Maybe the only good thing about plastic is it does not break. I am always thinking about packaging. That is our biggest issue. You want to do something less harmful to the environment? Do something about packaging.

http://www.gpi.org/learn-about-glass/gl ... -winn.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

14 Sep 2011 08:35 #2 by Rockdoc
Yes, I think about it and consider most of it a huge waste. Take for example carrots in a plastic bag right next to those with the tops still on them just lying on the shelf. The same goes with potatoes and a host of other items like those. If we end up with a really troubled economy and shortage of food in stores, perhaps we can return to just getting some of our food items naked, without all the packaging that not only adds cost, but feeds the dumps endlessly. Imagine if you will no more plastic wrap on many items and how much that will save. Why do I need plastic wrapped around paper towels, or bathroom tissue? One can argue food items benefit from sanitary handling, but actually that is lame too. Why do we need to have our meats wrapped when the same food is available at the butcher shop not wrapped? Personally, I'd like to see bulk distribution of milk, water etc. with you having to bring your own container. All of it would be a huge step forward in terms of waste management as well as some cost reduction.

14 Sep 2011 08:55 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Do you ever think about packaging?
I would love to see that Rockdoc. I am telling you, when I go to the store that is all I think about. We were talking on [url=http://www.smokyhillbound.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]www.smokyhillbound.com[/url] about the fact that I have switched to paper bags at Kings. I got a little flack about the environment but paper is way easier to use. I used 3 bags compared to about 7 plastic bags and the paper seems much more recyclable. Now there may be better ways and i am thinking about that however packaging is the problem. If we all made our own food at home or grew our own stuff there would be very little packaging out there. Because we would not have to take anything home it would already be there. Packaging is everything! Do something about that and you could make a huge difference.

14 Sep 2011 12:09 #4 by ScienceChic
All very good points Rockdoc and CG! :like:

Whole Foods sells these nifty reusable mesh produce bags - I bought several and just throw them back in with my grocery tote bags to bring even less plastic home:

If you really don't want to use them, then at least put several kinds of produce in as few a bags as possible - it's okay to mix and match just as long as you sort it separately for the cashier to properly ring up - there's absolutely no need to have a separate bag for each type of produce. Other packaging changes will have to come from the companies, and even if consumers suggest improvements, who knows what dumb regulations they have to follow.

"Now, more than ever, the illusions of division threaten our very existence. We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another as if we were one single tribe.” -King T'Challa, Black Panther

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is. ~Winston Churchill

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds