Contagious cat diseases

30 Sep 2011 17:43 #1 by Amy Murdock DVM
I've had a few questions about contagious diseases between cats and thought I'd discuss that topic here today.
There are several important communicable diseases between cats that are only tranmissable between cats and spread via nose to nose contact, bite wounds and saliva, urine, etc.... The greatest risk is to outside cats (or barn cats) that have the greatest potential to come in contact with other cats.

The cat contagious diseases are:
Feline leukemia (FeLV), once contracted the cat is positive (and can shed virus to other cats) for life. It has a wide variety of symptoms, most commonly inappetence, lethargy, weight loss, vomiting, and anemia. There is a vaccine available to protect against infection, but I highly suggest a snap test before administering the vaccine.
Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV), which is another viral disease that is incurable. Again a wide variety of symptoms, including, fever, enlarged lymph nodes, vomiting, diarrhea, and malaise. There is a snap test to diagnose the disease but vaccinating against FIV is not recommended.
Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), most commonly seen in cats that are in environments with large populations of cats (catteries, multi-cat households). There are two forms, a "wet" and "dry" form. The wet type progesses quickly, symptoms include distended or fluid filled belly, respiratory distress, vomiting, jaundice, and high fever that is unresponsive to antibiotics. The dry form has many different types of symptoms, coughing, pancreatitis, neurologic disease, lymph node enlargement, kidney failure, or liver failure. Unfortunately there is not a good test that will comfirm a diagnosis.
Panleukopenia or feline parvovirus, which is seen most in kittens less than 6 months of age that are unvaccinated. It is spread by contact with other infected cats or the environment where an infected cat has been. It can be tested with a parvo test used for dogs. This is totally a preventable disease by routine vaccination.

These are the "worst" contagious diseases, and there are others.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask here or give us a call.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds