When was the last time that your dog/cat had a wellness exam

24 Oct 2011 10:53 #1 by Amy Murdock DVM
When was the last time that your dog or cat had a wellness exam? Even though some dog and cat vaccines are now approved for 3 years doesn’t mean that your animals only need to see the vet every 3 years. That would be the same as if you only saw your physician every 10-15 years for a check-up. Annual wellness exams are critical to monitor the health of your animals, address any concerns that you might have, and potentially detect problems in an early stage. Early detection usually improves the ability to treat successfully and leads to a better long term outcome. Some of the conditions most commonly detected on wellness exams include signs of: weight loss, weight gain, thyroid disease, dental disease, heart murmurs/heart disease, kidney or liver disease, diabetes, cataracts, abdominal masses/cancer, arthritis, food allergies, ear infections, and more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Oct 2011 11:10 #2 by CinnamonGirl
If you go to the vet alot during the year do you still need a wellness exam? Just curious if you guys check out the dog when when we are there for another problem. We go every year when our vet sends us a reminder. I would go see you guys in a second but I am too far away.

25 Oct 2011 10:18 #3 by Amy Murdock DVM
Yes we do an exam if you bring your pet in for another problem, but during a wellness exam we can talk about your pet's overall health, not just identifying and treating one specific problem.

25 Oct 2011 13:45 #4 by CinnamonGirl
Thanks Amy I do it every year. It used to be that you had to update shots yearly but the 3 year shots probably makes people forget.

:)

25 Oct 2011 14:42 #5 by JMC
My guys will see you soon, they are due.

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds