Potential problems for pets on Halloween

28 Oct 2011 08:40 #1 by Amy Murdock DVM
Halloween is a fun time of year. However pets don't always have as much fun as we do and can get into some trouble if we are not careful. Here are my top 5 potential problems for your pets for this time of year.

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats because of theobromine in the cocoa beans and the level of toxicity is based on the amount of theobromine in the chocolate (with unsweetened baking chocolate having the most). The most commonly observed signs after chocolate ingestion are vomiting and diarrhea.

Candy and Candy Wrappers are a problem for several reasons. Changes in diet can cause vomiting and diarrhea, wrappers will not be digested and can get stuck in the intestines and cause an obstruction, and ingesting large amounts of sugar can lead to pancreatitis (which may not show up for a couple days after ingesting the candy).

Raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. Unfortunately what specifically in grapes and raisins that causes damage to the kidneys is unknown, but if ingested your dog will show signs of vomiting, abdominal pain, muscle weakness, and increased thirst and urination.

Glow Sticks and Jewelry are good for making sure your kids can be seen when trick-or-treating but please don't let your pets (specifically your cats) near them! Not only is chewing on the plastic a potential choking hazard, but the liquid inside that glows is very irritating and painful to the mouth.

Costumes on your pet are very cute but many pets will chew on the costume and could potentially ingest parts of the costume.

Hope you all have a safe and Happy Halloween!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Oct 2011 09:01 #2 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Potential problems for pets on Halloween
I did not know that about Raisins! Thanks so much for the reminder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds