What Type of Carpet is best for you?

13 Jul 2010 20:05 #1 by Carpet Direct

Types of carpet

Understanding a few simple basics about carpet will help you make the right choices for your lifestyle and budget.

Cut pile: Still one of today's most popular constructions, cut pile achieves its durability through the type of fiber used, density of tufts and the amount of twist in the yarn. Highly twisted yarn will hold its shape longer, making it a smart choice for high-traffic areas.

* Textured Plush — Most decoratively versatile. Textured surfaces help hide footprints and vacuum marks. Add causal beauty to any room. Preferred style for busy households. A great “whole-house” carpet.
* Saxony — Refined surface. Works will with traditional interiors. Ideal for living and dining rooms.
* Friezé — Forms a "curly" textured surface because yarns are extremely twisted. Has an informal look. Helps minimize footprints and vacuum marks.
* Plush (Velvet) — Has a dense luxurious feel. Shows footprints and vacuum marks easily. Best for low traffic areas and formal rooms.

Cut Pile

Level loop pile: Here loops are the same height, creating an informal look. This style generally lasts a long time in high-traffic areas. Many of today’s popular Berber styles are level loop styles with flecks of a darker color on a lighter background. This is a good choice for contemporary to cottage furnishings.
Loop Pile

Multi-level loop pile: This style usually has two to three different loop heights to create pattern effects, providing good durability and a more casual look.
Patterned Loop

Cut-loop pile: This carpet style combines cut and looped yarns. It provides variety of surface textures, including sculptured effects of squares, chevrons and swirls. The multicolor effects hide soil and stains.
Cut and Loop

Facts on Carpet Fibers

Fiber selection affects carpet end use performance. Manufacturers are a valuable resource in determining the fiber and construction most appropriate to the application. These are the basic types of carpet pile fibers.

Nylon: Two types, Nylon 6,6 and Nylon 6, are typically used in carpet. Nylon features include the ability to produce a variety of color schemes, luxurious soft “hand”, excellent resiliency, durability, abrasion resistance and texture retention. Other features include good resistance to stains and soils. Nylon is considered to be suitable for all types of traffic. Solution dyed nylon provides excellent color fastness and increases stain cleanability.

Olefin (polypropylene): Olefin features include its inherent and permanent resistance to water-based stains, its colorfastness and resistance to static electricity. Olefin is resistant to moisture, making it the primary fiber used in indoor/outdoor carpet.

Polyester: Polyester features include its luxurious soft “hand’, inherent and permanent stain resistance, and ability to produce bright colors. Other features include good abrasion resistance, fade resistance, and cleanability.

Triexta: Triexta features include its luxurious soft “hand”, excellent colorfastness and bright colors, inherent and permanent stain resistance. Other features include durability, resistance to fading, cleanability, texture retention and resiliency.

Wool: Wool is a natural fiber noted for its luxury and performance. Its features include soft “hand”, high bulk, color variety and inherent flame retardant characteristics.

Source....Carpet And Rug Institute

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

18 Aug 2010 15:37 #2 by Carpet Direct
Want to try on a new floor?
Just upload your picture of your room and follow the instructions

http://www.shawfloors.com/Try-On-A-Floor

25 Aug 2010 15:33 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic What Type of Carpet is best for you?
Cool link. Thank you.

31 Aug 2010 16:24 #4 by LopingAlong
Thank you for the infomative posts! I'll be in touch soon to talk in more depth. I'm hoping to get the bedrooms done before the holidays, do you have a multiple room discount by any chance?

31 Aug 2010 23:37 #5 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic What Type of Carpet is best for you?
When I bought carpet a while ago, I did not get the right pile for what I wanted. I paid for the upgraded padding but it never seemed very springy. I found out later that the type of carpet you buy makes a big difference in how soft the padding is. I picked a more shaggy kind of carpet and have never been very happy with the softness of the padding.

Do you have any info on those issues?

31 Aug 2010 23:52 #6 by Spykster
I used to live near Shaffers Crossing, and the best type of carpeting I found is commercial grade. It is super easy to keep clean, it's durable, and it comes in a plethora of colors and designs...

04 Sep 2010 09:43 #7 by Carpet Direct
OK...Let's try this again.

LopingAlong.
Yes there is a multi room discount. Our manufacturers have graciously extended to us a 100 yard discount.
Any yardage above 100 yards gets a $0.99 cent price reduction.
Many of our retail competitors have a much higher threshold that you have to meet to get the price reduction.
Call me when you have some time and we can set up a free, in home estimate.

CinnamonGirl
I am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your pad choice.
Many factors can effect how our carpet feels under foot.
Density, gauge and pile height are some of the issues with carpet that can effect how it feels. Pad density is probably the #1 reason for a hard foot feel.
1/2 inch is the tallest that the manufacturer allows us to sell you without voiding the warranty on your carpet.
The density of your pad needs to be carefully considered when making a carpet purchase.
Many of my retail competitors specify a 1/2 inch 8 lb pad as their premium pad upgrade. 8 lb denotes the density of your pad. The higher that number, the harder your pad is.
Carpet Direct specifies a 1/2 inch 7 lb pad as our premium pad. It provides wonderful support for your carpet while giving you a luxurious soft feel under foot.
Without seeing your carpet cinnamongirl, It would be hard to say which factor is causing your carpet and pad to feel stiff and hard.
I am happy to come by sometime and take a look. Just give me a call.

Spykster
You have indeed chosen a carpet type that is tough as nails.
We order a lot of commercial carpet for residential applications here in the mountain area. It is a wonderful choice for game rooms, mudrooms, stairs, laundry rooms and other high traffic areas.
The carpets are designed with industrial areas in mind so their appearance is less homey and more industrial.
The manufacturer specifies that this kind of carpet construction be installed by the glue down method. They are very low profile and are far more difficult to seam than a standard cut pile carpets. They can be installed over a very short dense pad but in some instances, your warranty will be voided if pad specifications are not precisely followed.
The manufacturer prefers a double glue down process where a special padding is glued to the floor and the commercial carpet is then glued to the pad. We see this kind of installation most often in lighter traffic uses such as Real Estate Offices or other lower traffic venues. Installing over a pad will lower the wear-ability on these types of carpet but not so significantly in the residential application as to cause any worry to a homeowner.

Hope I was able to answer all of your questions. Keep them coming.
A well informed public makes a GREAT customer.
Give me a call to set a free, in home estimate today.
The holidays are just around the corner.

303-816-2273

04 Sep 2010 13:18 #8 by Sarah
What happened to my posts on this thread? Did I say something wrong?

04 Sep 2010 14:27 - 12 Apr 2018 16:11 #9 by jf1acai

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again - Jeanne Pincha-Tulley

Comprehensive is Latin for there is lots of bad stuff in it - Trey Gowdy

04 Sep 2010 15:19 #10 by Spykster
What kind of carpet do you have that I can use to wrap "delinquent accounts" in ? :readp:

Time to create page: 0.204 seconds