wanted: chicken coop suitable for a mini pot belly pig

22 May 2013 08:33 #1 by SDM
Hello I am a veteran on a very fixed income, I have 9 yr old twin daughters and I just discovered after years of being infertile I'm miraculously pregnant. Anyway one of my daughter's has a pet pig and he can no longer be indoor he is to dominate inside and I don't want the new baby to get in his way and get hurt... This pig is my daughter's she worked for him saved up and paid for him. I don't want to get rid of the pig however we don't have a warm predator free place for him to be outside. We have no money to invest in safe place for him so I'm looking for a coop for him to stay in... Can anyone help, this is very important.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

22 May 2013 10:12 #2 by pacamom
If all you need is a place for him to be safe at night, Aspen Park Hardware is always getting rid of pallets and lumber. They put it outside their gated entrance that is along Hwy 285. Or maybe someone has some leftover building supplies. Chicken coops are pretty expensive and may not fit your needs (nesting boxes, roosting areas arent really going to go over well for a pig).

Good luck and congratulations!

22 May 2013 10:27 #3 by HappyCamper
Your pig is not going to do well during the winter unless you keep him very warm.

I would suggest you teach him some manners pigs are very smart.

My brothers pot bellied pig sleeps in his crate which is inside one of those baby play pens so if they do not want him wandering around the house they can close if off (he is also potty trained).

They have a harness on him and take him for walks with the dogs.

22 May 2013 11:04 #4 by SDM
my daughters pig is also potty trained and good at tricks, he is very well behaved outside but, I can't keep him from acting like a top hog inside.

22 May 2013 11:04 #5 by SDM
This is a very good suggestion ty

pacamom wrote: If all you need is a place for him to be safe at night, Aspen Park Hardware is always getting rid of pallets and lumber. They put it outside their gated entrance that is along Hwy 285. Or maybe someone has some leftover building supplies. Chicken coops are pretty expensive and may not fit your needs (nesting boxes, roosting areas arent really going to go over well for a pig).

Good luck and congratulations!

22 May 2013 12:15 #6 by HappyCamper
Did a quick search on the Internet and here is some of the information I found. There is also a lot of good information on training pigs.

Temperature

The next really important thing about your piglet is temperature. Just like puppies the greatest killer of miniature pigs is temperature drop and temperature changes. Miniature pigs come from tropical climates. They never live well in cold and can get pneumonia very easily. Like pet birds, pigs don’t show extreme signs of illness when they can be very sick. Be watchful for subtle signs and if in doubt call PigHaven or your vet right away.

Pigs are meant to live in temperatures 70 degrees and up. Babies like it even warmer. If it’s going to be cooler than 70 we request you get your pig clothing to keep them warm. Do not put your pig at risk of pneumonia. Pigs are meant to live 20-25 years.

We at PigHaven all too often hear horror stories from former miniature pig owners looking for advice as to why their pig died. People don’t give their pigs proper bedding and warmth and have them sleep in unheated barns and garages. It doesn’t take long for a miniature pig to die from exposure in 45-55 degree weather.

PiginablanketThe people they bought their pig from never told them pigs couldn’t get cold. What works for farm pigs doesn’t work for miniature pigs. Websites offer misleading information telling people they can put their pigs outdoors. Being put in the cold for an extended period of time risks their life. Keep your pig warm.

The rule of thumb is never go below 60 degrees. That is COLD for your pig. You can withstand much colder temperature than your pigs. You can also put on jackets, sweaters and scarves. Your pig needs the same care.

Pigs genetically evolved certain behaviors that are unique to help them regulate their body temperature. One of the reasons pigs are the champion snugglers is this is their primary means of staying warm. Pigs naturally snuggle together for warmth. Snuggle your pig!

Also it’s equally important to note that pigs in hot climates need access to shade and water. Putting your pig outdoors in the summer without adequate shade and an unlimited supply of water also risks their lives. Pigs need shade. They can get sunburns rather easily. This is both painful and very hard on your pig’s delicate skin. Pigs can also get sunstroke and overheat easily.

Remember pigs can’t sweat. In the wild they swim and stay in the shade to keep cool. Pigs also wallow in mud to stay cool and as use as sunscreen. Make sure they have a way to cool off when outdoors. Sprinklers can be a lot of fun for your pig to play in.

Pigs and Relationships

Your pig is another species. The way it responds in relationship is different than a human being, whale, dolphin or chimpanzee would. Pigs are as intelligent as all of these species. You are going to learn how to speak pig.

Lisa Kissing Lil Love 0 00 03-16

Pig’s eyes are astoundingly informative. If they raise their head and make eye contact with you they are communicating with you. They may want to get in bed and snuggle with you or go somewhere or play with you. Pigs may make eye contact with you to get your attention and walk away to show you something. Be aware of subtle cues.

Pigs are highly relational and social creatures that will expect to participate in family events or rituals with you! Do you sit down with your partner and watch the news or a favorite TV show every night? Most likely your pig will want to be in the middle of you two, especially if there’s popcorn involved! Do you have a morning or bedtime routine? Frequently your pig will want to be close by observing you or directly involved with you.

Pigs have friends too! Pigs make friends with humans and these relationships are very important to the pig. When our friend Sachi would come for a visit she had a friendship with one of our pigs named Strawberry. When Strawberry heard Sachi enter the house she would make noises from her living area calling Sachi to her!

Don’t get after your pig for making noise, getting excited or for pushing on something with its nose. They may be trying to get to someone or get someone’s attention. It might be telling you that they are in love with that person and want to visit or that they want to join in an activity with the family.

Sometimes miniature pigs form special bonds with the children in your life. You may find yourself with a four-legged fairy godmother. These can be especially precious relationships for all involved. Enjoy them!

Think broadly about the means that the pig has to communicate with you and learn the language of your pig. It’s really important to have that understanding between the two of you. You’ll really enjoy the long relationship you’ll have with the smartest little friend you’ve ever known.

22 May 2013 14:24 #7 by SDM
I've tried many ways to correct his indoor behaviour but, he's naughty, he will charge at people he doesn't know especially when they are close to my daughter, he gets mad at my daughter for being gone to long, however he is completely different outside. I can't keep him inside with a baby for him to charge at. He's also a big mini he's about 55 lbs so I can't just pretend he's a naughty kitty.

22 May 2013 18:05 #8 by HappyCamper
As you can see you should not be putting him outside my guess is that you might want to re-home him or find a rescue to give him to.

I would be very sad to make him suffer when the cold weather comes, with you not have extra money to put out for heating bills it would be best for both of you.

22 May 2013 18:38 #9 by SDM
I would only consider re homing him if I knew his new owner would let my daughter visit and he would not be treated like food.

22 May 2013 18:59 #10 by HappyCamper
There are many rescues out there that I am sure would help you out and they might even be able to help you with the aggression issue since you just found out about the new baby you could give it a try for a couple of months.

I searched on pig rescues in Colorado and there are a couple and they have phone numbers to call.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds