Hello, New Member, New Business, Euro car mechanic

25 May 2013 07:56 - 10 Jun 2013 22:02 #1 by RMAutohaus
Hello all.

Just thought I would introduce myself. Name is Schannon Gumz. I've been living in the Conifer/Pine area for almost four years now. I'm opening a new automotive repair business in Pine Grove, in Steve Humphrey's old shop. The business is Rocky Mountain Autohaus.

A little about me: I grew up in central Wisconsin on a dairy farm. When I turned 18 I went off to Universal Technical Institute in Glendale Heights, IL. I graduated with high grades and was allowed the option to be one of the first 14 students selected from around the country to go to Atlanta, GA for the Porsche Training Apprenticeship Program. Upon completion, I took a technician job at Momentum Porsche in Houston, TX for the next six years.

While I was at Momentum I earned ASE Master certifications, Advanced Level Diagnostician, and Porsche Silver Master Technician status. I left Momentum to be the shop foreman at the then new Porsche North Houston dealership. I was there for a year and a half when we decided to move to Nacogdoches, TX so my wife could further her career.

When we decided we had enough TX we started looking at other places to live. After a bunch of soul searching and a leap of faith I landed at local repair shop in Commerce City. I spent the next almost four years as a Porsche, VW, Audi, BMW, and MINI technician.

I am now on the verge of opening the doors for my own business; Rocky Mountain Autohaus in Pine. I can offer top notch service at VERY affordable rates and treat EVERYONE like they have a half million dollar car. Because that's what I'm used to and that's how I roll!!! :woo hoo:

I should be up and running June 3rd. If you feel up to it check me out my website [url=http://www.rockymountainautohaus.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]http://www.rockymountainautohaus.com[/url]

Oh and dont forget to like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RockyMountainAutohaus

and Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/105604898 ... osts/p/pub

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 May 2013 09:47 #2 by MacBlues
Hi Schannon;

Thanks for the intro, and curious if you have experience with older VWs'. My wife has a 1979 triple white convertible Super Beetle.
It needs some engine work. The last mechanic to tune it did a less than stellar job IMHO. Ran for less than 50 mi. and now won't start.

Granted, we did drive it on a few miles of rough 'washboard' so in his defense it's possible something vibrated loose, but reluctant to use
the same fellow again. I'm not much of a wrench, and not familiar with foreign or air cooled at all.

Rob

31 May 2013 20:04 #3 by RMAutohaus
My experience is limited with older VW's, If you wanted to do a custom EFI setup, I could definitely help there. That said, you may just have a basic starter or fuel problem. When you say it won't start do you mean it turns over and coughs and sputters; it just turns over and no coughing or sputtering, or it just doesn't turn over at all?

UPDATE:

I put this over on my business post as well. I feel like a flake for doing this; but I will be slightly postponing the opening of Rocky Mountain Autohaus due to the fact that the replacement that I have been training in at my current job told me yesterday he was "Mentally Unstable" and could no longer work. I jokingly told him "Of course you're unstable. It's a prerequisite to being a German car mechanic." I then realized he was being serious. I don't mean this to sound arrogant but if I leave my current job without somebody to take my place that shop may go out of business. This feeling does not sit well with me. So with that said, I am regrettingly going to postpone the opening of Rocky Mountain Autohaus, hopefully only a week or two. I will keep ya'll posted and will likely extend the Grand Opening Special to accommodate this turn of events. Sorry everyone. :(:

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds