STEEL SHEET & FLATBAR TRANSFORMED

29 May 2013 11:00 - 10 Jun 2013 15:07 #1 by Jekyll
I've been slowly teaching myself welding and I'm in need of a sheet for a welding table. Preferably in the next couple days cause if not I'll just head down to the handful of steel yards that I've got lined up. Doesn't matter if it's 3/8ths or 1/2in but I'd like to not go any thicker than that and no thinner than 3/8ths. Also somewhat of a manageable size, say like a four by six or something smaller. Anyway, I appreciate it, PM me if you got something like it for a reasonable price. I know right now used steel goes for around 75 cents a pound. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

30 May 2013 13:22 #2 by Jekyll
Just a heads up (cause it looks like a lot of people have checked my post, thanks!) that I got ahold of some great people today down at Altitude Steel, they were one of the yards on my list, and I'm getting the sheet plus some other steel I need so I won't be needing everyone's help with this project from here on out. Like I said, I appreciate the looksees on my post and I hope I get the same response when I need steel in the future and perhaps it'll be a more available type. Have a great day ya'll.

-D-

30 May 2013 13:22 #3 by Jekyll
I was told that Atlas Steel & Iron was the place to get steel and I thought I'd mention that when calling them and not finding my used sheet they just referred me to Altitude. Anyway, toodles.

30 May 2013 19:02 - 05 Jun 2013 07:35 #4 by pacamom
What will you b welding on a welding table?

30 May 2013 23:10 #5 by Jekyll
Basically it's just a giant kitchen table made out of steel with various accessories on it, ie; bench vice, welding gun holder, a good border for clamping onto, etc. Some have a big shelf underneath for storing extra welding electrode, scrap, ppe (personal protective equipment) and whatnots. It's a good, solid, large surface for fabricating different things, whether it's artsy things like horseshoe coat hangers to reinforced bumpers for the front of trucks. Up until now (well, as soon as I get this thing built) I've been using a small piece of plate on a couple saw horses, and let me tell you, it's ridiculous. Tell ya what though, when it's done I'll post some pics, so long as I can figure out how to work the magic on this board, hahahaha. Anyway, that's about it. Here's a link to a NICE welding table: http://store.millerwelds.com/commerce/p ... dID=951169

Notice how there's no bench vice attached or any other accessory for that matter except the cross reinforcement and lower shelving and the price iiiiiiis... $754, and that's without taxes. I'm building mine (minus shelving cause I really don't need it), welding gun holder, bench vice, a good border underneath and reinforced with three inch pipe with three inch pipe T's for legs...for around three hundred sixty or so.....yea.

06 Jun 2013 22:27 #6 by Jekyll
Well, the welding table should be finished up this weekend. I'll post final pics so I don't take up a bunch of space. Overall the thing is coming out GREAT! Over twelve square feet of welding practice and she'll be as sound as a pound! I LOVE welding. Wish I could land a good gig learning to weld while I provide for the family but there's so much going on right now I prolly wouldn't be able to fill the shoes right away. "A good weld is a safe weld. A bad weld is a good way to empty the bank account and get a possible trip to the morgue." -Jekyll

10 Jun 2013 15:21 #7 by Jekyll
Well, I was gonna upload some photos but it seems my digital FujiFilm takes too gooda pics and they're too large for imageplay! WTH!! :biggrin: Either way, I only got a couple more things ta do on it and she's good ta go! Wish I could post some pics, HELP ME SC!

EDIT: Got it. Turns out photobucket is the ticket when it comes to overly large pics. Each one of these puppies was almost four megs a piece.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds