Retirement

12 Oct 2010 13:50 #1 by anytime
Retirement was created by anytime
I saw an interesting stat this morning that kind of scared the you know what out of me. The center for retirement research at Boston College estimates the typical couple at age 65 will need about $197,000 to cover out-of-pocket medical costs. Yikes! The bottom line here is to start investing in yourself right now while it's cheap. Start eating healthy, start moving, and incorporate weight training in your program. A strong lower body equals independence later in life. Build lean muscle mass..it's key to a healthy life. You can lower that $197k cost later in life by spending a little right now. Join a gym, buy some weights, run, walk, just get up and do something. You will feel better, have more energy, and the small cost now will pay off in the future.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

31 Oct 2010 06:50 #2 by JMC
Replied by JMC on topic Retirement
Amazing statistic. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

01 Nov 2010 07:53 #3 by CinnamonGirl
Replied by CinnamonGirl on topic Retirement
Found this article in the Denver Post today--

"Strength training can help offset aging woes"

Many changes take place in physical abilities as we age.
Try as I may, I simply can't swim as fast at 69 as I did at 39, 49 or even 59, nor am I as steady on my feet. I can only assume my strength has waned as well. I'm finding bottles and jars harder to open and heavy packages harder to lift and carry.
But in August, I hiked in the Grand Canyon, prompting my 10-year-old grandson Stefan to ask, "Grandma, how many 69-year-olds do you think could do this?"

Read more: Strength training can help offset aging woes - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_164 ... z142SoflEw

03 Nov 2010 07:10 #4 by Ice
Replied by Ice on topic Retirement
I love that article, it's never too late.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds