Need your pictures for a free bag of Wild Flowers

24 Jan 2011 16:42 #1 by mountaindollar
For those of you who purchased wild flowers from Mountain Dollar last year, if you post your pictures here or email them to me, I will give you a bag of wild flowers FREE this year for your help.

We are getting ready to not only order our seeds for the season but I am working on a display for the store and would love to display your pictures.

Our email is .

Thank you, I know it is hard to think about spring right now!!!!!

Kim Conroy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

24 Jan 2011 16:44 #2 by JMC
WOW! Great idea, I can never get my wild flowers to grow.

24 Jan 2011 17:47 #3 by hvgal
wish I could provide you with them but after planting the seeds I looked out the next morning and counted 30!! yes, 30 wild turkeys in my yard. They loved it but it is a little expensive for turkey food. I am sure they would have been lovely:)

24 Jan 2011 17:50 #4 by JMC

hvgal wrote: wish I could provide you with them but after planting the seeds I looked out the next morning and counted 30!! yes, 30 wild turkeys in my yard. They loved it but it is a little expensive for turkey food. I am sure they would have been lovely:)

Not a bad trade off.

24 Jan 2011 18:05 #5 by Mountaingirl
I'd love to hear some success stories - I had sore muscles after planting all day Sat & Sun last year (they don't call these the "Rocky Mountains" for no reason); the few that sprouted, the animals enjoyed as appetizers!

24 Jan 2011 18:26 #6 by mountaindollar
JMAC, that is because you have never gotten seeds from Mountain Dollar. lol

Whether you buy seeds from us or another store you do need to remember a few things.

First these are baby plants and like any other new plant they do need to be babied their first year to get maximum germination.

If you choose to broadcast the seeds in an area you should keep a few things in mind.

First if there is nothing growing there most likely you will not be able to get wild flowers to grow without amending the soil.
Last year we tilled in topsoil as we were planting directly on decomposed granite. We then spread the seed and put about a ½ inch of topsoil over it.

If putting in a field where grasses are growing, you need to try and rack the seed in a bit so that it is covered.

Moisture the first year is key so if you can sprinkle with water you need to.

Only expect 30 to 50 percent germination if you cannot water during the first critical months.

We planted several large container pots with them last year and they did great!! Can’t wait to see what comes back this year.

We did have the birds raid our area (no turkeys how cool to see) but we over seeded and got a bumper crop.

If the seeds you buy do not have the year they were harvested I would buy them with caution, chances are they are several years old and so your germination will even be lower.

We are waiting on seeds harvested in 2010 to be available before purchasing, we buy bulk wholesale and package our seeds by weight.

This is a bit more work but happy customers are the best customers.

We will again offer 1/4, 1/2 and 1lb packages to those who want them but packages in these sizes will have pre-ordered as we do not carry these sizes at the store.

I live in Bailey and will be happy to arrange meeting people along 285 if you can not make it to the store.

24 Jan 2011 18:31 #7 by Mountaingirl
Good information, Thanks!

Also, how gracious to meet customers for their convenience, talk about great service!

26 Jan 2011 17:11 #8 by RY

mountaindollar wrote: For those of you who purchased wild flowers from Mountain Dollar last year, if you post your pictures here or email them to me, I will give you a bag of wild flowers FREE this year for your help.

We are getting ready to not only order our seeds for the season but I am working on a display for the store and would love to display your pictures.

Our email is .

Thank you, I know it is hard to think about spring right now!!!!!

Kim Conroy

here you go! can't wait for spring :)

26 Jan 2011 17:42 #9 by mountaindollar
Thanks for posting the pictures they are beautiful and I will contact you as soon as our new seeds come in so I can get you your free bag.

Kim

26 Jan 2011 19:14 #10 by LopingAlong
They are great seeds! Here are the flowers that came up after I threw the seeds near the barn. No muss, no fuss!
Thanks!

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds